From: rousseau on
I plan on a short trip to France on my own, and am trying to work out the
cheapest way of keeping in contact with home. I could get my partner to use
Telediscount (or similar) to call me in my hotel, but when I'm away from
there is there any way of avoiding the usual roaming charges?

From: Graham. on

"rousseau" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:87jhisFc1tU1(a)mid.individual.net...
>I plan on a short trip to France on my own, and am trying to work out the
> cheapest way of keeping in contact with home. I could get my partner to use
> Telediscount (or similar) to call me in my hotel, but when I'm away from
> there is there any way of avoiding the usual roaming charges?

My usual advice for most countries is to take an unlocked handset and buy
a local SIM card, that way you won't be paying for incoming calls.

Then your partner rings you on your new French number the cheapest way she can,
perhaps smartvoip.com at 5 pence/min.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

From: rousseau on
Graham. wrote:

> "rousseau" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>I plan on a short trip to France on my own, and am trying to work out the
>> cheapest way of keeping in contact with home. I could get my partner to
>> use Telediscount (or similar) to call me in my hotel, but when I'm away
>> from there is there any way of avoiding the usual roaming charges?

> My usual advice for most countries is to take an unlocked handset and buy
> a local SIM card, that way you won't be paying for incoming calls.
>
> Then your partner rings you on your new French number the cheapest way she
> can, perhaps smartvoip.com at 5 pence/min.

Thanks, I'll look at that (though I have an Orange SIM on the Camel rate she
could use). I'd forgotten about getting a local SIM, though it was a bit of
a pain getting one last time in France as I had to show driving licence and
it took ages to complete the form (in a FT shop), unless you know of a
simpler alternative?

Chris

From: Petert on
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 12:38:16 +0100, rousseau <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Graham. wrote:
>

>> "rousseau" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>>I plan on a short trip to France on my own, and am trying to work out the
>>> cheapest way of keeping in contact with home. I could get my partner to
>>> use Telediscount (or similar) to call me in my hotel, but when I'm away
>>> from there is there any way of avoiding the usual roaming charges?

>> My usual advice for most countries is to take an unlocked handset and buy
>> a local SIM card, that way you won't be paying for incoming calls.
>>
>> Then your partner rings you on your new French number the cheapest way she
>> can, perhaps smartvoip.com at 5 pence/min.
>
>Thanks, I'll look at that (though I have an Orange SIM on the Camel rate she
>could use). I'd forgotten about getting a local SIM, though it was a bit of
>a pain getting one last time in France as I had to show driving licence and
>it took ages to complete the form (in a FT shop), unless you know of a
>simpler alternative?

eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/French-SIM-Card-Carte-Bouygues-Telecom-ACTIVE-France-/180517283003?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Other_Phones_ET&hash=item2a07ab24bb
--
Cheers

Peter
From: JL on
On 13 June, 12:40, Petert <peter.tho...(a)brightchro.me.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 12:38:16 +0100, rousseau <inva...(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>

> >Graham. wrote:
>
> >> "rousseau" <inva...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> >> My usual advice for most countries is to take an unlocked handset and buy
> >> a local SIM card, that way you won't be paying for incoming calls.
>
> >> Then your partner rings you on your new French number the cheapest way she
> >> can, perhaps smartvoip.com at 5 pence/min.
>
> >Thanks, I'll look at that (though I have an Orange SIM on the Camel rate she
> >could use). I'd forgotten about getting a local SIM, though it was a bit of
> >a pain getting one last time in France as I had to show driving licence and
> >it took ages to  complete the form (in a FT shop), unless you know of a
> >simpler alternative?
>
> eBay?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/French-SIM-Card-Carte-Bouygues-Telecom-ACTIVE-F...
> --
> Cheers
>
> Peter- Hide quoted text -

Although still paying roaming charges, Vodafone passport is a worthy
contender. You can add it to PAYG SIM, which you can order free on
the Vodafone website.
Answering a call will cost 75p for up to an hour per call so although
not the cheapest it's simple. The person calling you can use
inclusive mins etc.

https://www.v-store.co.uk/index.cfm?go=checkout.freesims