From: pjd on
On Aug 2, 10:51 pm, "MarkHanif...(a)gmail.com" <markhanif...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is this an email limitation?  Are you trying to go retro, and fit it on a floppy to pass around?

Not quite. But they are across the world with only a slow FTP server
between us. So it becomes a bit tedious to transfer it every time I
make a change.
From: blandest on
Not that this could be an alternative solution, but maybe you could just
publish your application on a web server and then you will be able to
updated it as regular as you want without bothering your consumers.

It will actually depend on how the application is being used so proposed
solution could be the worst one possible :)
From: Alessio Stalla on
On Aug 3, 8:25 am, pjd <pjdtech2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 2, 10:51 pm, "MarkHanif...(a)gmail.com" <markhanif...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Is this an email limitation?  Are you trying to go retro, and fit it on a floppy to pass around?
>
> Not quite. But they are across the world with only a slow FTP server
> between us. So it becomes a bit tedious to transfer it every time I
> make a change.

You could publish patches rather than the whole thing, using a binary
diff tool such as http://www.daemonology.net/bsdiff/

It would be nice if binary patches could be generated by the Lisp
implementation... then the image size argument would hold much less.

Cheers,
Alessio
From: pjd on
On Aug 3, 3:15 am, blandest <bland...(a)NA.i-did-not-set--mail-host-
address--so-tickle-me> wrote:
> Not that this could be an alternative solution, but maybe you could just
> publish your application on a web server and then you will be able to
> updated it as regular as you want without bothering your consumers.
>
> It will actually depend on how the application is being used so proposed
> solution could be the worst one possible :)

I did consider that. But this application didn't fit that model. This
was a script that decrypts and analyzes some XML log files on disk and
print some information about them.

In fact it _was_ a Perl script that I decided to rewrite in CL because
my 'customers' didn't manage to get Perl and CPAN working! So an all-
in-one EXE was my only option.

I have decided on the following model:

I will ship them the CCL exe and a one time dumped image with all the
required libraries (cl-ppcre, cxml etc.). Ship my script as a Fasl
file with a main function. Provide them with a batch file to run this
from command line. That way when I modify (that might be frequently)
the script I can just email them the Fasl file.

Thanks guys for all the feedback.
From: Raffael Cavallaro on
On 2010-08-03 02:25:14 -0400, pjd said:

> So it becomes a bit tedious to transfer it every time I
> make a change.

You don't need to do this at all. Have them download the app once and
make sure to include within your app a means of loading .fasl files at
startup from a specific location. Then each time you make a change,
they only need to download the latest .fasl file and put it in the
specified directory; it will be automatically loaded on application
launch. This is how LispWorks publishes changes to their IDE - you
don't download the whole honking IDE each time there's a patch; you
just download the necessary patch which is auto-loaded on startup.

warmest regards,

Ralph

--
Raffael Cavallaro