From: pjd on
Greetings

I am using latest Clozure Common Lisp on Windows.

It is really great that I am able to create a stand-alone native
executable using 'save-application'.

But the resultant executable is huge (~23 MB) and I am having problems
distributing it (Just casually to co-workers).

My application is just a script that is less than 100 lines.
I am using only two external libraries: cl-ppcre and cxml.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the size?

Appreciate your time.
pj
From: Thomas A. Russ on

pjd <pjdtech2000(a)gmail.com> writes:

> I am using latest Clozure Common Lisp on Windows.
>
> It is really great that I am able to create a stand-alone native
> executable using 'save-application'.
>
> But the resultant executable is huge (~23 MB) and I am having problems
> distributing it (Just casually to co-workers).
> Is there anything I can do to reduce the size?

There doesn't appear to be any options to SAVE-APPLICATION that would do
what you want to reduce the size of the application.

The entire lisp development environment is packaged as part of that
application, so it is perhaps understandably huge.

Some potential options are:

(1) Have your co-workers install CCL on their machines and just
distribute FASL files to them. The distribution will be (much)
smaller, but you won't have an executable. You could presumably
set up a script (batch) file that will launch CCL with the fasl
file, though.

(2) Investigate a different lisp implementation for distribution.
Perhaps CLISP will work better for your needs? You can still
develop using CCL and just distribute using CLISP.

--
Thomas A. Russ, USC/Information Sciences Institute
From: Tamas K Papp on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 10:51:48 -0700, Thomas A. Russ wrote:

> (2) Investigate a different lisp implementation for distribution.
> Perhaps CLISP will work better for your needs? You can still
> develop using CCL and just distribute using CLISP.

ECL is nice too.

Tamas
From: joswig on
On 2 Aug., 19:51, t...(a)sevak.isi.edu (Thomas A. Russ) wrote:
> pjd <pjdtech2...(a)gmail.com> writes:
> > I am using latest Clozure Common Lisp on Windows.
>
> > It is really great that I am able to create a stand-alone native
> > executable using 'save-application'.
>
> > But the resultant executable is huge (~23 MB) and I am having problems
> > distributing it (Just casually to co-workers).
> > Is there anything I can do to reduce the size?
>
> There doesn't appear to be any options to SAVE-APPLICATION that would do
> what you want to reduce the size of the application.
>
> The entire lisp development environment is packaged as part of that
> application, so it is perhaps understandably huge.
>
> Some potential options are:
>
>  (1) Have your co-workers install CCL on their machines and just
>      distribute FASL files to them.  The distribution will be (much)
>      smaller, but you won't have an executable.  You could presumably
>      set up a script (batch) file that will launch CCL with the fasl
>      file, though.
>
> (2)  Investigate a different lisp implementation for distribution.
>      Perhaps CLISP will work better for your needs?  You can still
>      develop using CCL and just distribute using CLISP.
>
> --
> Thomas A. Russ,  USC/Information Sciences Institute

One might be able to create a smaller image.
For app delivery one might get rid of all the development
information (arglists, documentation strings, symbols, source
locations, ...).
Best to ask on the CCL list how to build a smaller image
without all that baggage.
It might be even possible to get rid of some unused functionality.

From: MarkHaniford on
On Aug 2, 12:37 pm, pjd <pjdtech2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I am using latest Clozure Common Lisp on Windows.
>
> It is really great that I am able to create a stand-alone native
> executable using 'save-application'.
>
> But the resultant executable is huge (~23 MB) and I am having problems
> distributing it (Just casually to co-workers).
>
> My application is just a script that is less than 100 lines.
> I am  using only two external libraries: cl-ppcre and cxml.
>
> Is there anything I can do to reduce the size?
>
> Appreciate your time.
> pj

Is this an email limitation? Are you trying to go retro, and fit it
on a floppy to pass around? Is 23 meg that big halfway through 2010?

Sorry for being a bit snarky in the above, but I'm guessing that "the
problem" with CCL (and SBCL) for that matter (as opposed to something
like Allegro) is no decent tree shaker. But do your co-workers really
have a problem with 23 meg?