From: rfengineer55 on
On Jun 14, 2:35 am, glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> rfengineer55 <rfenginee...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> > I,m working on fortran program originally compiled for a VAX VMS  that
> > ahs an function listed that I wonder if you've ever heard of. My Intel
> > comiler has never heard of it either :-)
> > It's called Program_timer and has five variables; three integers, a
> > Logical and a character string
>
> It seems that it is already commented out in the fcc.gov .zip file.
>
> That seems to indicate that we shouldn't worry about it.
>
> -- glen

Hi Glen

Yes, It confused me because it lacked the typical $ that the libray
functions have. I don't have it in my library of FCC *.for programs,
so maybe it is something experimental. More curiosity on my part than
anything else.

Thanks for looking :-)

Jeff
From: rfengineer55 on
On Jun 14, 1:50 am, Louis Krupp <lkrupp_nos...(a)indra.com.invalid>
wrote:
> On 6/13/2010 11:53 PM, glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
>
> > rfengineer55<rfenginee...(a)aol.com>  wrote:
> > (snip)
>
> >> I don't have any information on it, and i'm curious what this function
> >> does, exactly. My guess is that it's a library function included in
> >> the VAX 11/780 VMS library.
>
> > Pretty much all the VMS system library functions have a $ in
> > the name, so you won't miss them.  Usually three letters,
> > then the $, then the description of the specific routine.
>
> > Also, many take arguments by value, so there will be
> > a lot of $VAL in such calls.
>
> I googled for sys$program_timer and lib$program_timer and didn't come up
> with anything.
>
> If the mystery function is really not in the supplied source files, my
> suggestion would be to look at what the calling code does with the
> results, and unless it looks like something really important is
> happening, comment out the calls, set the output variable(s) to
> something appropriate and move on.
>
> Louis

More curiosity than anything on my part. It's commented out in the
original listing, so it's not doing anything. So the best that it can
be is a learning opportunity.

RF ENGINEER Jeff