From: rfengineer55 on
Hello,

I,m working on fortran program originally compiled for a VAX VMS that
ahs an function listed that I wonder if you've ever heard of. My Intel
comiler has never heard of it either :-)

It's called Program_timer and has five variables; three integers, a
Logical and a character string

I don't have any information on it, and i'm curious what this function
does, exactly. My guess is that it's a library function included in
the VAX 11/780 VMS library.

What are your thoughts on this function?

Thanks,

Jeff

RF ENGINEER55
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
rfengineer55 <rfengineer55(a)aol.com> wrote:
(snip)

> I don't have any information on it, and i'm curious what this function
> does, exactly. My guess is that it's a library function included in
> the VAX 11/780 VMS library.

Pretty much all the VMS system library functions have a $ in
the name, so you won't miss them. Usually three letters,
then the $, then the description of the specific routine.

Also, many take arguments by value, so there will be
a lot of $VAL in such calls.

-- glen
From: Louis Krupp on
> rfengineer55<rfengineer55(a)aol.com> wrote:
> (snip)
>
>> I don't have any information on it, and i'm curious what this function
>> does, exactly. My guess is that it's a library function included in
>> the VAX 11/780 VMS library.
>
> Pretty much all the VMS system library functions have a $ in
> the name, so you won't miss them. Usually three letters,
> then the $, then the description of the specific routine.
>
> Also, many take arguments by value, so there will be
> a lot of $VAL in such calls.

I googled for sys$program_timer and lib$program_timer and didn't come up
with anything.

If the mystery function is really not in the supplied source files, my
suggestion would be to look at what the calling code does with the
results, and unless it looks like something really important is
happening, comment out the calls, set the output variable(s) to
something appropriate and move on.

Louis

From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Louis Krupp <lkrupp_nospam(a)indra.com.invalid> wrote:
(snip)

> I googled for sys$program_timer and lib$program_timer and
> didn't come up with anything.

It seems that there is LIB$INIT_TIMER, LIB$SHOW_TIMER and
LIB$STAT_TIMER.

-- glen

From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
rfengineer55 <rfengineer55(a)aol.com> wrote:

> I,m working on fortran program originally compiled for a VAX VMS that
> ahs an function listed that I wonder if you've ever heard of. My Intel
> comiler has never heard of it either :-)

> It's called Program_timer and has five variables; three integers, a
> Logical and a character string

It seems that it is already commented out in the fcc.gov .zip file.

That seems to indicate that we shouldn't worry about it.

-- glen