From: Paul on
Unknown wrote:
> How can it possibly be 'usage'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idle_task

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_idle_process

"Instead the scheduler selects the idle thread for a CPU
whenever there are no threads in the priority range
0 through 31 that can run on the CPU."

"For instance, on x86 processors under Windows 2000, the
idle thread will run a loop of halt instructions, which
causes the CPU to turn off many internal components until
an interrupt request arrives."

Based on that, I'd say it has elements of "usage" to it.
It would be nit-picking, unless you were having a discussion
with the Scheduler designer.

Paul

From: blackhead on
On 2 Aug, 02:26, blackhead <larryhar...(a)softhome.net> wrote:
> Over the last day, my computer has started to behave strangely. The
> hard drive is constantly being accessed, as is the floppy drive and
> the Sytem Idle process shows 90% CPU useage.
>
> I thought it might be a Windows update, but usually there's an icon in
> the task bar to show this.
>
> Any idea as to what's going on?
>
> cheers

Let me put it another way: The graph showing processor useage is close
to 80%, whereas usually it's below 5%.

Anyway, my computer won't even boot into safe mode now so it looks as
if I still have problems with a virus, and it's corrupted a file that
is needed to get into safemode.

What can I do now?

1. A windows set up repair?

2. Look at the bootlog.txt and see what file failed to load. Then
restore it manually?

3. Other options?

From: blackhead on
On 3 Aug, 16:00, blackhead <larryhar...(a)softhome.net> wrote:
> On 2 Aug, 02:26, blackhead <larryhar...(a)softhome.net> wrote:
>
> > Over the last day, my computer has started to behave strangely. The
> > hard drive is constantly being accessed, as is the floppy drive and
> > the Sytem Idle process shows 90% CPU useage.
>
> > I thought it might be a Windows update, but usually there's an icon in
> > the task bar to show this.
>
> > Any idea as to what's going on?
>
> > cheers
>
> Let me put it another way: The graph showing processor useage is close
> to 80%, whereas usually it's below 5%.
>
> Anyway, my computer won't even boot into safe mode now so it looks as
> if I still have problems with a virus, and it's corrupted a file that
> is needed to get into safemode.
>
> What can I do now?
>
> 1. A windows set up repair?
>
> 2. Look at the bootlog.txt and see what file failed to load. Then
> restore it manually?
>
> 3. Other options?

Well, I had to do a windows repair and here I am... still with the
problem, but I found out that i had a new virus - the
internetexplorer.exe virus.

I found out that disabling the internetexlorer.exe process on startup
cured the problem, and i did a Google search on the process.

I ran the Trend Micro Housecall online antivirus program which found 3
trojan threats, but not the virus. I then tried the free avast program
and it found 3,900 infected files!!!!!!

Hopefully by the time you've read this I dhould be virus free.