From: blackhead on
Over the last day, my computer has started to behave strangely. The
hard drive is constantly being accessed, as is the floppy drive and
the Sytem Idle process shows 90% CPU useage.

I thought it might be a Windows update, but usually there's an icon in
the task bar to show this.

Any idea as to what's going on?

cheers
From: Daave on
blackhead wrote:
> Over the last day, my computer has started to behave strangely. The
> hard drive is constantly being accessed, as is the floppy drive and
> the Sytem Idle process shows 90% CPU useage.
>
> I thought it might be a Windows update, but usually there's an icon in
> the task bar to show this.
>
> Any idea as to what's going on?

I'd like to know which processes account for the 10%.

Also, what has changed over the last 24 hours? New program? New update?
In System Restore, what is listed?

From: Jim on
On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 18:26:30 -0700 (PDT), blackhead
<larryharson(a)softhome.net> wrote:

>Over the last day, my computer has started to behave strangely. The
>hard drive is constantly being accessed, as is the floppy drive and
>the Sytem Idle process shows 90% CPU useage.
>
>I thought it might be a Windows update, but usually there's an icon in
>the task bar to show this.
>
>Any idea as to what's going on?
>
>cheers

"Sytem Idle process shows 90% CPU useage" ; useage or idle ?
From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 18:26:30 -0700 (PDT), blackhead
<larryharson(a)softhome.net> wrote:

> Over the last day, my computer has started to behave strangely. The
> hard drive is constantly being accessed, as is the floppy drive and
> the Sytem Idle process shows 90% CPU useage.
>
> I thought it might be a Windows update, but usually there's an icon in
> the task bar to show this.
>
> Any idea as to what's going on?

"System Idle Process" is not any problem at all. "Idle" means "not in
use." That's just the name for what the system is doing when it's not
doing anything. It's there just to make the total add up to 100%

If it's 90%, it's simply another way of saying that only 10% of the
system is being used.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Unknown on
How can it possibly be 'usage'?