From: Anthony on
Is this a macro that I have to run, or can I perform this as an
equation/function? I'm thinking I can do it with an array, but can't quite
put it together. I'll give an example:

A B C
1 1 Alex Oldest
2 2 Barbara Middle
3 3 Chloe Youngest
4 1 Oldest
5 3 Youngest
6 2 Middle

In word form I want to say: If $B$1="Alex", then If A:A=1,C:C="Oldest"

Even though B4 is blank, the formula knows to put "Oldest" in C4 because A4=1.

Would I need to turn C:C into a helper column and put the answers in D:D?
Thanks for any help!
From: T. Valko on
If you have only those 3 variables:

1 = oldest
2 = middle
3 = youngest

Try this...

=CHOOSE(A1,"Oldest","Middle","Youngest")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP