From: Tim Munro on
If .NET 4.0 is a completely new framework, will anything compiled for 1.0 up
to 3.5 work with only 4.0 installed?

--
Tim.

From: Jerry on
The comments I've seen in other places say you must have the previous
versions installed or 4.0 won't install and/or run.

From: PvdG42 on

"Jerry" <ChiefZekeNoSpam(a)MSN.com> wrote in message
> The comments I've seen in other places say you must have the previous
> versions installed or 4.0 won't install and/or run.

Do you have a source for this? I don't believe it to be true, as 4.9 is a
complete new framework, independent of previous versions.

What you say is true of versions 3.0 and 3.5, as they are add-ons to version
2.0. Thus you cannot have 3.0 or 3.5 unless you have 2.0. OTOH, 2.0 is not
dependent on v1.0 or v1.1 so you can have 2.0 with no previous versions
installed.

From: PvdG42 on

"Jerry" <ChiefZekeNoSpam(a)MSN.com> wrote in message
> The comments I've seen in other places say you must have the previous
> versions installed or 4.0 won't install and/or run.

I should have added this. You won't find many instances where 4.0 is
installed on a Windows PC with no previous versions, as both Vista and Win 7
come with .NET as part of the default install. IIRC, you'd have to go back
to XP prior to SP3 to get no .NET (could be SP3).

From: Family Tree Mike on
On 5/4/2010 4:12 PM, Jerry wrote:
> The comments I've seen in other places say you must have the previous
> versions installed or 4.0 won't install and/or run.
>
> "Tim Munro"<Excelsior(a)Liamtoh.moc> wrote in message
>> If .NET 4.0 is a completely new framework, will anything compiled for 1.0
>> up to 3.5 work with only 4.0 installed?
>>
>> --
>> Tim.

The only mention that I see of previous versions in the readme for .Net
4.0 have to do with an error installing .Net 1.0 after .Net 4.0. If you
need 1.0 for some reason, it is suggest it be installed first.

Here is the link to the readme with the system requirements.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/B/5/7/B57D25A2-B3FD-4668-91B9-DB43B6BD910D/NETFx4RTM.htm

--
Mike