From: Joodle on
I want to lookup a value in a table, then return a value to a different
column based on the result.

For example:

Sheet 1 has:

col A
------
1
2
3
4

Sheet 2 (LOOKUP table) has:

col A col B
------ ------
1 Apple
2 Banana
3 Carrot
4 Date

I want to write a formula in sheet 1 that says:

if the value in col A is 1, enter Apple in col B
if the value in col A is 2, enter Banana in col C
if the value in col A is 3, enter Carrot in col D
if the value in col A is 4, enter Date in col E
From: Eva on
Hi
The formula
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)
--
Please click "yes" if this post helped you!

Greatly appreciated

Eva

From: Joodle on
This formula placed all the results from the lookup in the same column.

I want the results such that all "Apple" are in col B, all "Banana" are in
col C, all "Carrot" are in col D, and all "Date" are in col E.

From: Eva on
Hi
I don't know what you want to accomplish, but try this
=TRANSPOSE(VLOOKUP($A2,Sheet2!$A:$B,2,FALSE))
(it is array formula ctrl+shift+enter)

From: Teethless mama on
In B1: =IF(A1=1,"Apple","")
In C1: =IF(A1=2,"Banana","")