From: DavidC on
Is it best to use an image data type or varchar(max) to store a TIF or JPG
file? We have some small signature images that we want to store in the
database rather than the filesystem. We will be updating via asp.net web
page. Thanks.

--
David
From: Plamen Ratchev on
It is best to use VARBINARY(MAX). On SQL Server 2008 you can use FILESTREAM, but for small images probably just
VARBINARY(MAX) is fine.

--
Plamen Ratchev
http://www.SQLStudio.com
From: m on
Also note that image has been superseded by varbinary(max) in SQL 2008. If
you are using an older version, then you should use image

From: Kalen Delaney on
varchar(MAX) and varbinary(MAX) were added in SQL Server 2005.
Text and image are deprecated.

--
HTH
Kalen

From: Michael C on
"DavidC" <dlchase(a)lifetimeinc.com> wrote in message
> Is it best to use an image data type or varchar(max) to store a TIF or JPG
> file? We have some small signature images that we want to store in the
> database rather than the filesystem. We will be updating via asp.net web
> page. Thanks.

Always store your data using the data type designed for the job. Varchar is
designed to store text, not images.

Michael