From: Fei Zhang on
I wanna implement a traffic shaper for win7 to limit some application's
downloading speed.If I write a ndis IM driver and limit the
receiving speed from the IM driver, the IM driver should put the
application's rx frames into a queue to limit its receiving speed, that will
use out the NIC miniport driver's rx buffer so that the NIC will send pause
frame to the partner. Then all other application's receiving performance
will decline too. This is not what I expect.
And it seems that Winsock Kernel
and Windows Filtering Platform can't be used to shape traffic, limit
receiving speed, either. I know some firewall for xp uses TDI driver to
shape
traffic, but TDI is obsolete on win7 now. What should I do?
Any suggestions or any kind of keywords will be appreciated. Thanks a lot
in advance.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5241 (20100630) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: Fei Zhang on
It seems that WFP can implement it.
First of all WFP indicates data segments to STREAM and not IP packets. And
dropping data segments from STEAM layer will have no bearing on the seq#
that TCP acks the remote peer -- it would still ack the full amount
indicated and only withheld/discard the blocked section from the receiving
application. I'm a little confused not. If my WFP callout defer these
inbound packets, but the tcp stack still ack the full amount indicated, then
the remote peer will keep sending tcp packets. Then will the WFP callout
use out the memory?
Because teh WFP callout defer these packets and it should keep these
packets in memory until the WFP callout indicate these inbound packets
finally.
Thanks a lot.
Fei Zhang

From: Pavel A. on
"Fei Zhang" <zhangandfei(a)126.com> wrote in message
> If my WFP callout defer these inbound packets, but the tcp stack still ack
> the full amount indicated, then the remote peer will keep sending tcp
> packets. Then will the WFP callout use out the memory?
> Because teh WFP callout defer these packets and it should keep these
> packets in memory until the WFP callout indicate these inbound packets
> finally.

WFP by itself does not defer data or consume lot of RAM.
Who makes the problem, is responsible to solve it. Use your creativity.
Or, install 64 bit version with more RAM :)

-pa

From: Fei Zhang on
Thank you Pavel very much for your greate help.
I'm a little confused about the WFP api names yet, such as
FwpsCalloutRegister( ) and FwpmCalloutAdd, what does 'Fwps' and 'Fwpm' refer
to? Why don't they use the same prefix 'WFP'?
Thanks
Fei Zhang

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5253 (20100705) __________

http://www.eset.com