From: Ludovic Brenta on
Jean-Pierre Rosen <rosen(a)adalog.fr> writes:

> Stefan Bellon a écrit :
>> Gautier wrote:
>>
>>> - time stamps to check need of recompilations
>>
>> I've always wondered about the focussing on time stamps. I think the way
>> to do it would be to calculate a hash sum (md5, sha1, ...) on the token
>> stream without comments. This way you wouldn't have to recompile if you
>> do layout and commentary changes, and even if you touch the file, you
>> don't inadvertently trigger a recompilation.
>>
> Gnatmake can do that (see option -m)

Ah yes, I forgot... I always have -k -m in my project files... quite
handy when recompiling GPS :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.
From: Stefan Bellon on
Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> Ah yes, I forgot... I always have -k -m in my project files... quite
> handy when recompiling GPS :)

Ah, ok, forgot about -m. Apart form debugging information being out of
sync with the actual line numbers, is it otherwise always safe to use
-m?

--
Stefan Bellon
From: Pascal Obry on

Why not play on a C generator for the Ada language ?

Using ASIS as a start. You then don't have to play with backend
generation. Probably a project that is easier to tackle than a true Ada
compiler even if already quite a bit of work :)

That's something I wanted to start at some point, and I think now that I
won't have time to start this anytime soon :)

Just thinking out loud :)

Pascal.

--| Pascal Obry Team-Ada Member
--| http://www.obry.net
--|
From: Pascal Obry on
Stefan Bellon a �crit :
> Gautier wrote:
>
>> - time stamps to check need of recompilations
>
> I've always wondered about the focussing on time stamps. I think the way
> to do it would be to calculate a hash sum (md5, sha1, ...) on the token
> stream without comments. This way you wouldn't have to recompile if you
> do layout and commentary changes, and even if you touch the file, you
> don't inadvertently trigger a recompilation.

That's exactly what GNAT does BTW.

Pascal.

--| Pascal Obry Team-Ada Member
--| http://www.obry.net
--|
From: Pascal Obry on
Ludovic Brenta a �crit :
> That's what GNAT does, only it uses a simple checksum for performance
> reasons. Calculating the checksum and comparing it with the one in
> the library (.ali files in the case of GNAT) has to be faster than
> recompiling the file.

No that's not a simple checksum since some time. It is now using md5.

Pascal.

--| Pascal Obry Team-Ada Member
--| http://www.obry.net
--|