From: "Choate, Paul@DDS" on
Sorry about that I meant

from 'long table name'n

Paul Choate
DDS Data Extraction
(916) 654-2160

-----Original Message-----
From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L(a)LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Choate, Paul(a)DDS
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2006 2:33 PM
To: SAS-L(a)LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Import from Access

Jeri -

Did you try a name literal?

from 'long table name'$

Paul Choate
DDS Data Extraction
(916) 654-2160

-----Original Message-----
From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L(a)LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Jeri Ji
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2006 2:27 PM
To: SAS-L(a)LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Your code worked. Thank you very much! I still have one question left.
In
that Access database, the table that I wanted to import has five words
in
it with space in between. I tried, but didn't import it successfully.

What can I do? Thanks.

Jeri

"Terjeson, Mark" <Mterjeson(a)RUSSELL.COM>
Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L(a)LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
11/20/2006 05:20 PM
Please respond to
"Terjeson, Mark" <Mterjeson(a)RUSSELL.COM>

SAS-L(a)LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Import from Access

Hi Jeri,

Two things, I mentioned the wrong license module.
If you check your licensing, i.e. in your SAS editor
enter
proc setinit;
run;
to get your list. If you have "---SAS/ACC-ODBC "
then you are good.

To make an ODBC entry (which merely maps a
DSN token to a path/filename) go to START, Programs
(or via Control Panel), Adminitrative Tools and locate
the "Data Sources (ODBC)". On the "User DSN" tab
select "Add". Choose driver "Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)"
and push "Finish". You will get a popup window entitled
"ODBC Microsoft Access Setup. You only need two items!!!
In the "Data Source Name:" field put in a token of your choice,
e.g. xyz. Then in the "Database:" section, push "Select" and
merely point to your .mdb file. Hit the appropriate number
of "OK" buttons because you are done.

Then you are ready to talk to that .mdb by merely using the token
in the dsn=. e.g.

proc sql noprint;
connect to odbc (dsn="xyz");

create table abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz789012 as
select * from connection to odbc
(

/* inside these parentheses is sql text that
gets passed all the way over to your .mdb
and gets run there, so inside these parens
is Microsoft Access SQL syntax. You can
copy and paste directly to and from Access
query window to here. */
select * from [abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz7890123]
);

disconnect from odbc;
quit;

Hope this is helpful.

Mark Terjeson
Senior Programmer Analyst, IM&R
Russell Investment Group

Russell
Global Leaders in Multi-Manager Investing

________________________________

Sorry that I was slow on this. I never used pass-through before. In the
example below, where should I put the path of the mdb file? Thanks.

Jeri

"Terjeson, Mark" <Mterjeson(a)RUSSELL.COM>
Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L(a)LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

11/20/2006 04:55 PM
Please respond to
"Terjeson, Mark" <Mterjeson(a)RUSSELL.COM>

SAS-L(a)LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
cc
Subject
Re: Import from Access

Hi Jeri,

If you use a PROC SQL pass-through query,
you can fetch longer table names and write
them in SAS with shorter names. e.g.

proc sql noprint;
connect to odbc (dsn="db2");

create table abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz789012 as
select * from connection to odbc
(select * from abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz7890123);

disconnect from odbc;
quit;

The above example utilizes PC FileFormats license module
and a quick ODBC assignment for a "USER DSN" by creating
you own token name and assigning it to the .mdb file.

From: Jeri Ji on
5337 proc sql noprint;
5338 connect to odbc (dsn="test");
5339
5340 create table test as
5341 select * from connection to odbc
5342 (select * from 'Seller and Anchor GFee Information');
ERROR: CLI prepare error: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax
error in query.
Incomplete query clause.
SQL statement: select * from 'Seller and Anchor GFee Information'.
5343 disconnect from odbc;
5344 quit;

Did I write anything wrong?

Jeri

"Choate, Paul(a)DDS" <pchoate(a)DDS.CA.GOV>
Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L(a)LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
11/20/2006 05:38 PM
Please respond to

From: Jeri Ji on
It worked!

Thank you very much. I think Mark mentioned it in his email, too. I didn't
pay attention.

Thank you everybody for the quick response! Have a good night.

Jeri

"Pardee, Roy" <pardee.r(a)GHC.ORG>
Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L(a)LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
11/20/2006 05:58 PM
Please respond to
"Pardee, Roy" <pardee.r(a)GHC.ORG>

SAS-L(a)LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Import from Access

Rather than the single quotes around the table name, try square
brackets.

From: Yu Zhang on
Anyone know why libname solution is not working for this problem? I use this
method alot, but can't figure out why it falis.

Thanks!

Yu