From: Brian Salter on
I've seen a number of tutorials that describe how to bring in a dll in
python, but does anybody know of a tutorial for how to bring in a lib? Is
it even possible?

Thanks, in advance!

From: Gary Herron on
On 08/12/2010 04:09 PM, Brian Salter wrote:
> I've seen a number of tutorials that describe how to bring in a dll in
> python, but does anybody know of a tutorial for how to bring in a
> lib? Is it even possible?
>
> Thanks, in advance!

Look at the Python module named ctypes:
http://docs.python.org/library/ctypes.html

Gary Herron

From: Brian Salter on
It appears that every example is calling a dll, and I'm looking to bring in
a lib. Does ctypes work with libs too?

From: Tycho Andersen on
On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 04:09:10PM -0700, Brian Salter wrote:
> I've seen a number of tutorials that describe how to bring in a dll
> in python, but does anybody know of a tutorial for how to bring in a
> lib? Is it even possible?

I don't know if it's possible, but why do you want to do it? .lib
files in Windows are static libraries, which traditionally aren't
loaded dynamically. Is there some reason you can't use a DLL?

\t

From: Nobody on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 16:09:10 -0700, Brian Salter wrote:

> I've seen a number of tutorials that describe how to bring in a dll in
> python, but does anybody know of a tutorial for how to bring in a lib? Is
> it even possible?

No. ctypes relies upon the OS to actually load the library, and the OS
doesn't provide any mechanism to load a ".lib" file.