From: Ludovic Brenta on
Nasser M. Abbasi wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> On 6/14/2010 1:03 AM, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>
>> I prefer command-line tools over GUI tools, so when I write a utility
>> for my own use, I never give it a GUI.
>
> May be this is getting off-topic a little...But I think there is a place
> for both?
[...]
> I think these days, in the web era, langauges with little GUI support
> build into them can cause these language not to become popular. [...]

Oh, sure, I never disputed that. Indeed I tried browsing the web with
lynx (text mode) and went back to iceweasel; there are indeed
situations
where a GUI is necessary. I can do GUIs with GtkAda, too, but I've
never
had the need in my personal projects (in my work I do a lot of GtkAda
though). And if someone would ask my advice on web design, my advice
would probably not be what they want to hear :)

PS. For file management, I rely on the command line and emacs dired.

PPS. In GtkAda, you should have a look at testgtk which is an extended
example showing all GTK+ widgets.

--
Ludovic Brenta.
From: Georg Bauhaus on
On 14.06.10 10:47, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> On 6/14/2010 1:03 AM, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>
>> I prefer command-line
>> tools over GUI tools, so when I write a utility for my own use, I
>> never give it a GUI.
>>

> May be this is getting off-topic a little...But I think there is a place
> for both?

The place that integrates GUI and command line operation is called
Plan 9 (by Bell Labs). It lets you use every piece of text on your
screen either as text or as a command, as you wish. You can
write everywhere on the screen. There is no concept of a framed
read only text functioning as a GUI button---every piece of text can be
made a button by simply clicking on it with a selectable mouse button.

http://cm.bell-labs.com/plan9/

The editor named "wily" has some of this integrated
into a Unix environment. Available with Debian.

The Oberon systems used a similar approach.

From: Dmitry A. Kazakov on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:39:40 +0200, Georg Bauhaus wrote:

> On 14.06.10 10:47, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
>> On 6/14/2010 1:03 AM, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>>
>>> I prefer command-line
>>> tools over GUI tools, so when I write a utility for my own use, I
>>> never give it a GUI.
>>>

>> May be this is getting off-topic a little...But I think there is a place
>> for both?
>
> The place that integrates GUI and command line operation is called
> Plan 9 (by Bell Labs). It lets you use every piece of text on your
> screen either as text or as a command, as you wish. You can
> write everywhere on the screen.

Wow, great that it was buried!

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Georg Bauhaus on
On 14.06.10 14:19, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:39:40 +0200, Georg Bauhaus wrote:

>>> May be this is getting off-topic a little...But I think there is a place
>>> for both?
>>
>> The place that integrates GUI and command line operation is called
>> Plan 9 (by Bell Labs). It lets you use every piece of text on your
>> screen either as text or as a command, as you wish. You can
>> write everywhere on the screen.
>
> Wow, great that it was buried!

Says the one who writes fixed layout panels preventing
the user from doing what they might impertinently be
wanting to do when they creatively apply their own intelligence,
per chance?

Hands up if you can confirm that operators have learned
how to get rid of warning dialogs they do not know---by
pressing ENTER. ;-)

From: Dmitry A. Kazakov on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:06:42 +0200, Georg Bauhaus wrote:

> On 14.06.10 14:19, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

>>> The place that integrates GUI and command line operation is called
>>> Plan 9 (by Bell Labs). It lets you use every piece of text on your
>>> screen either as text or as a command, as you wish. You can
>>> write everywhere on the screen.
>>
>> Wow, great that it was buried!
>
> Says the one who writes fixed layout panels preventing
> the user from doing what they might impertinently be
> wanting to do when they creatively apply their own intelligence,
> per chance?

What about an operator continuing repeating the same sequence of actions
ignoring popping up message dialogs crying that it FAILED.

In another case the operator reported a bug. He forgot to turn the computer
on.

> Hands up if you can confirm that operators have learned
> how to get rid of warning dialogs they do not know---by
> pressing ENTER. ;-)

Record the time between window creation and the cancel button press. If the
delay is too short, give another warning. After tree warnings the operator
receives one point. Three points are mailed to his superior. (:-))

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov