From: Georg Bauhaus on
On 06.07.10 14:57, Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> The Ada Programming wikibook[1] is the closest thing to such a
> tutorial; it is still not perfect, of course. The Ada Information
> Clearinghouse[2] is the closest thing to a central hub for more
> general information (other books, standards, success stories, etc.)

People seem to be loosing the ability to use a personal computing
device without guidance from another.
GNAT, ObjectAda, AppletMagic, and I bet the other compilers, too,
ship with tutorial texts on how to get started with your Ada
tools. I found them quite good. What do you think?

If the introductions are good, and if they address programmers
who know the basics of computers and of programming, then in
order to give these modern programmers a little help, maybe we
should just add an HTML button to Ada pages that when pressed
presents a dialog.
The dialog lets the user navigate to the introduction
which, surprise, is installed on his or her own machine, too!
If they select the compiler they have,
the dialog will show the name of a file from which to begin
the tutorial. The file has a default location. If it is not found
in its default location, the name is known and is presented in
the dialog. The computer can then look for it using the indexes
that modern computers update all the time.

From: jonathan on
On Jun 14, 9:35 am, Georg Bauhaus <rm-host.bauh...(a)maps.futureapps.de>
wrote:

>A teaching project could extend
>across several semesters, can include virtual production
>scenarios, require teams, will start from a larger and serious
>piece of software (to be written by university staff) and
>include a collection of non-accidental hardware.
>This can be fun (model trains is an example, I imagine there are
>others, equally realistic and equally affordable)....

Purely by coincidence (-;) I have been puzzling over the same
problem. We seemed to have reached similar conclusions. In fact
I've been building an off-the-top-of-my-head list of possible
projects - my preference is to provide something for the general
student public rather than (directly) for the classroom. I like
the idea of providing source code and as much friendly instruction
as possible for beginners who want an easy start on an ambitious
project. Here's a candidate I just came across .. I've mentioned
Marte-OS before, but I was unaware of this particular project,
which looks like fun for people interested in kernels and
operating systems, especially real-time Linux:

Marte-OS as Linux Kernel Module (MLKM) project.
http://rtportal.upv.es/apps/mlkm/

This component provides the patches needed to run the
MaRTE-OS executive as a Linux kernel module. ... MaRTE-OS is
then executed as a hard real-time executive, and the whole of
Linux (both the kernel and the applications) is executed as a
background task.

With these patches you will be able to run in the same machine
both Linux and MaRTE-OS.

The present patches work on Marte-OS 1.2.
The latest Marte-OS is 1.9.

Don't know if it's too hard, too easy, or impractical .. again
the idea is someone smart gets it running and provides a (very)
friendly road map for future exploration, suitable for kids ..
like me. Notice a) it plays to Ada's strengths, b) it's
a rapidly growing domain that could not be more important to
industry and c) it's the kind of thing that can
become a lifetime obsession.

It's always bothered me that Ada's nicest
features seem beyond the reach of beginners ... would be nice to
have something out of the box for real-time control. (I know
progress has been made with gnat support for LEGO mindstorms.)
http://libre.adacore.com/libre/tools/mindstorms/

J.