From: Pearl on
My main goal is to upgrade our IIS6 to II7 but I understand that can not
happen unless our Windows 2003 Std server is first upgraded to Windows 2008.
So, I'm looking for advice on how best to do this. First, can Windows 2003
Std upgrade (in place) to Windows 2008? And, if that is possible
(hopefully, without incident), how then do I upgrade II6 to IIS7? Thanks
in advance.
From: Chris M on
On 22/07/2010 17:22, Pearl wrote:
> My main goal is to upgrade our IIS6 to II7 but I understand that can not
> happen unless our Windows 2003 Std server is first upgraded to Windows 2008.
> So, I'm looking for advice on how best to do this. First, can Windows 2003
> Std upgrade (in place) to Windows 2008? And, if that is possible
> (hopefully, without incident), how then do I upgrade II6 to IIS7? Thanks
> in advance.

Windows versions and IIS versions go hand-in-hand. By upgrading Windows,
you will also by definition be upgrading IIS.

If you want to do an in-place upgrade to 2008, keep in mind that if your
current server is running the 32-bit version of Windows 2003 then you
will not be able to upgrade to 2008 R2 without doing a clean build -
2008 R2 is 64-bit only.

If you must do an in-place upgrade (and/or if your hardware is 32-bit
only), the original release of Server 2008 is your only option.

--
Chris M.