From: Andreas Saeger on
Luz Zdee wrote:

> What have my longtime fvorite OO makes so dumb and down?

Hard formatting and inefficient lookups.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: lutzdietrich on
Am 17.02.2010, 21:17 Uhr, schrieb Andreas Saeger <saegerei(a)onlinehome.de>:

Hallo, thanks for the fast response.
But how to prevent formattings an inefficient lookups?

The same Spreadsheet, exported in XLS format arises from 1Mb to 12Mb.
Additional the Load/Savetime decreases from 4 Minutes (OO) to 30seconds
(XLS).
Tha is an advantage of 1:80 to M$.
Thats why i think must be an kind of expansion.

However:
now i own the Excel, and i must reuse all handlings from beginning......
It looks terrible, works unsorted and nagged with many useless features...
I want to return to OO, but dont know how overcame this issues.

best regards

Luz Zdee

From: Andreas Saeger on
Lutz Dietrich (public) wrote:
> Am 17.02.2010, 21:17 Uhr, schrieb Andreas Saeger <saegerei(a)onlinehome.de>:
>
> Hallo, thanks for the fast response.
> But how to prevent formattings an inefficient lookups?

This performs a lookup twice for one result:
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1;range;1;0));"";VLOOKUP(A1;range;1;0))

This performs the lookup in the first column of "range" 3 times:
X1: =VLOOKUP(A1;range;1;0)
Y1: =VLOOKUP(A1;range;2;0)
Z1: =VLOOKUP(A1;range;3;0)

Lookup once and return many values at once:
X1: =MATCH(A1;vector;0)
Y1:AA1: INDEX(range;X1;0) [Ctrl+Shift+Enter]

MATCH works pretty fast with many thousands of values in ordered mode
(last argument 1 or missing):
X1: =MATCH(A1;vector;1)
Y1: =A1=INDEX(vector;X1) [test for exact match]
Z1:AB1: =IF(Y1;INDEX(range;X1;0);NA()) [Ctrl+Shift+Enter]

Excel seems to maintain some internal cache for redundant calculations.
If I recall correctly, information about the calculation cascade is
part of the very complicated Excel file formats.
ODF does not keep anything like that, which makes it easy to implement
but rather inefficient.

Use a relational database with millions of interrelated records and
never look back to spreadsheets.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: lutzdietrich on

Hallo Andreas, sorry for the late reply. I hunk may you are right. I am using multiple * HLOOKUP and VLOOKUP.
Otherhands i have experiences in INDEX in combination with HLOOKUP and WLOOKUP. With i can mirroring an Matrix. So i can read left from criteria.
But never i recognized that these constructs cause such trouble.
Thank you very much for your kindly service
Lutz
Andreas Saeger geschrieben am 18.2.10 12:01

Pages: 1
Prev: [discuss] THANK YOU
Next: Open Office problem