From: Barbara Duprey on
You'll have to find and delete the lock file for your brochure. It
should have a name like .~lock./yourfilename/.odt# (and the dot shows
it's a hidden file, so you might have to tell your operating system to
show hidden files). Once you've done that, your file should again be
editable, if locking was the only problem. But getting that dialog
implies that something may have happened to the file extension, so you
may need to bring up Writer first and browse to the file to open it.
Ordinarily, a locked file would open, but in Read Only mode.

L Shannon wrote:
> I have spent over 5 weeks writing up a travel brochure on Openoffice.org and
> today after dinner I went back to complete my editing and found that file
> was locked and am unable to open it to continue my editing.
>

> Thankfully I had created a .pdf file earlier on but it's the mastercopy that
> I was editing that I wanted to re-open and I get this dialog box about ASCII
> and I have no idea what is going on?
>

> What's happened?? RSVP personally, not on public forum (my privacy is
> important, thank you.)
>

> L Shannon.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Robert Holtzman on
On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 11:22:12PM +0000, L Shannon wrote:

...........snip...........

> What's happened?? RSVP personally, not on public forum (my privacy is
> important, thank you.

If your privacy is so important why did you post on a public mailing
list that is read and archived all over the world?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: "Peter Hyde" on
Obviously they did not know they were posting to a public mailing list. So
your comments below will help them appreciate where they have posted.

But sadly as I see many times reading comments in response to fair and
reasonable questions, you appear to have failed to help them with their
actual problem, but rather humiliated and embarrassed them.

Is this really what the public OpenOffice.org help forum is all about.

Respectfully, Peter Hyde.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 11:22:12PM +0000, L Shannon wrote:

...........snip...........

> What's happened?? RSVP personally, not on public forum (my privacy is
> important, thank you.

If your privacy is so important why did you post on a public mailing list
that is read and archived all over the world?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279
"If you think you're getting free lunch, check the price of the beer"

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Paul Douglas Franklin on
Thank you, Peter. Good point.
I took the liberty this morning of passing along the helpful response
that was posted to the list instead of privately to the OP, so no one
else needs to.
--Paul

Peter Hyde wrote:
> Obviously they did not know they were posting to a public mailing list. So
> your comments below will help them appreciate where they have posted.
>
> But sadly as I see many times reading comments in response to fair and
> reasonable questions, you appear to have failed to help them with their
> actual problem, but rather humiliated and embarrassed them.
>
> Is this really what the public OpenOffice.org help forum is all about.
>
> Respectfully, Peter Hyde.

Paul Douglas Franklin
Computer Manager
http://www.yugm.org/

/Husband of Danette/
/Father of Laurene, Miriam, Tycko, Timothy, Sarabeth, Marie, Dawnita, Anna Leah, Alexander, and Caleb/

Upgrade to the premier Office package today!

Free download here:
http://www.openoffice.org/

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Robert Holtzman on
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 08:09:23AM +1100, Peter Hyde wrote:
> Obviously they did not know they were posting to a public mailing list. So
> your comments below will help them appreciate where they have posted.
>
> But sadly as I see many times reading comments in response to fair and
> reasonable questions, you appear to have failed to help them with their
> actual problem, but rather humiliated and embarrassed them.

I was pointing out a fallacy in their assumption of privacy, not
addressing their specific problem.

Why do you assume they are embarrassed by having a mistake pointed out
to them? I'm not acquainted with many people with sensibilities that
fragile.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279