From: "Peter Hyde" on

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Holtzman [mailto:holtzm(a)cox.net]
Sent: Friday, 19 February 2010 2:02 PM
To: discuss(a)openoffice.org
Subject: Re: [discuss] Open Office problem

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 08:09:23AM +1100, Peter Hyde wrote:
> Obviously they did not know they were posting to a public mailing
> list. So your comments below will help them appreciate where they have
posted.

> But sadly as I see many times reading comments in response to fair and
> reasonable questions, you appear to have failed to help them with
> their actual problem, but rather humiliated and embarrassed them.

I was pointing out a fallacy in their assumption of privacy, not addressing
their specific problem.

This is part of the problem. Why respond simply to avoid providing any
assistance whatsoever, with an unhelpful sarcastic response. What was your
real motive in doing so?

Why do you assume they are embarrassed by having a mistake pointed out to
them? I'm not acquainted with many people with sensibilities that fragile.

You need to broaden your horizons, and move beyond the limited pool of
friends you currently have. Also try to live by the best motto of all. Treat
others as you yourself would wish to be treated.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Robert Holtzman on
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 02:35:16PM +1100, Peter Hyde wrote:

> > Obviously they did not know they were posting to a public mailing
> > list. So your comments below will help them appreciate where they have
> posted.
> >
> > But sadly as I see many times reading comments in response to fair and
> > reasonable questions, you appear to have failed to help them with
> > their actual problem, but rather humiliated and embarrassed them.
>
> I was pointing out a fallacy in their assumption of privacy, not addressing
> their specific problem.
>
> This is part of the problem. Why respond simply to avoid providing any
> assistance whatsoever, with an unhelpful sarcastic response. What was your
> real motive in doing so?

My *real* motive in posting was to point out an error in their
assumption of privacy....as I said in my post. You must have missed it.

> Why do you assume they are embarrassed by having a mistake pointed out to
> them? I'm not acquainted with many people with sensibilities that fragile.
>
> You need to broaden your horizons, and move beyond the limited pool of
> friends you currently have.

I have a sufficient number with enough diversity to let me make a valid
observation.

> Also try to live by the best motto of all. Treat
> others as you yourself would wish to be treated.

I do....and did!

> --
> Bob Holtzman
> Key ID: 8D549279
> "If you think you're getting free lunch, check the price of the beer"

> For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279
check the price of the beer"
From: "Sean" on

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Robert Holtzman on
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 04:50:19PM -0500, Sean wrote:

> [...]

Forget something?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279
From: Larry Gusaas on
On 2010/02/19 12:45 PM Robert Holtzman wrote:
> My*real* motive in posting was to point out an error in their
> assumption of privacy....as I said in my post. You must have missed it.

Since the original poster is not subscribed to the mailing list, they
did not see your message or any of the bickering that followed.

--
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org