From: Richard Owlett on
Apologies to those who might think I'm stealing their thread.

*CAVEAT LECTOR* Though I've *NEVER* supported myself by any trade
normally associated with DSP, my avocations regularly deal with
topics covered by this group.

I've dealt with problems best expressed with a 0 base index.
I've dealt with problems best expressed with a 1 base index.

For problems involving a FFT (or inverse) I use Scilab 4.x
Choice NOT based on indexing - couldn't afford MATLAB and at the
time Octave had installation problems on *my* Windows setup.

I think it is foolish for for any purported "GENERAL PURPOSE"
package to not address the index base issue.

A before I get really sarcastic comments - If I'm not old enough
to have changed their diapers/wipes, I'm more than old enough to
have been their "sitter" ;}