From: Don McKenzie on

July 23, 2010

India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools

India has come up with a 35-dollar touch-screen "laptop" -- a computing prototype that it aims to make available to students
from elementary schools to universities.

The gadget, developed by the elite Indian Institute of Technology and the Indian Institute of Science, is part of a push to give
students a better education and technical skills needed to boost India's economic growth.

The first users are expected to be university students with introduction of the Linux-based computing device targeted for next year.

http://www.physorg.com/news199083092.html

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page: http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam: http://www.dontronics.com/spam

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
From: Rob on
On 26/07/2010 6:32 AM, Don McKenzie wrote:

> July 23, 2010
>
> India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools
>
> India has come up with a 35-dollar touch-screen "laptop" -- a computing
> prototype that it aims to make available to students from elementary
> schools to universities.
>
> The gadget, developed by the elite Indian Institute of Technology and
> the Indian Institute of Science, is part of a push to give students a
> better education and technical skills needed to boost India's economic
> growth.
>
> The first users are expected to be university students with introduction
> of the Linux-based computing device targeted for next year.
>
> http://www.physorg.com/news199083092.html
>

> Cheers Don...

Wait till it goes on sale at retailers - I would say that's only 10% of
the retail price.
From: Trevor Wilson on

"Rob" <mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 26/07/2010 6:32 AM, Don McKenzie wrote:
>>
>> July 23, 2010
>>
>> India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools
>>
>> India has come up with a 35-dollar touch-screen "laptop" -- a computing
>> prototype that it aims to make available to students from elementary
>> schools to universities.
>>
>> The gadget, developed by the elite Indian Institute of Technology and
>> the Indian Institute of Science, is part of a push to give students a
>> better education and technical skills needed to boost India's economic
>> growth.
>>
>> The first users are expected to be university students with introduction
>> of the Linux-based computing device targeted for next year.
>>
>> http://www.physorg.com/news199083092.html
>>

>> Cheers Don...
>>

> Wait till it goes on sale at retailers - I would say that's only 10% of
> the retail price.

**I doubt that. Whilst it may not end being 35 Bucks, it may not be far off.
The total cost of components is $35.00, which would typically translate to
an RRP of around $140.00 here in Australia. In India things probably work
differently.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

From: will s on

"Tom" <tom(a)no.spam.invalid> wrote in message
> On 26/07/2010 8:53 AM, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> "Rob"<mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Wait till it goes on sale at retailers - I would say that's only 10% of
>>> the retail price.
>>
>> **I doubt that. Whilst it may not end being 35 Bucks, it may not be far
>> off.
>> The total cost of components is $35.00, which would typically translate
>> an RRP of around $140.00 here in Australia. In India things probably work
>> differently.
>>

> The government could contract their mates to distribute the laptops to
> schools, they would get laptops at $35 and sell them to schools at $700 a
> piece - that would happent if Australian Labor was in charge in India.
>
> Tom

and if the liberals were in charge they would bury the laptop and get the
big businesses to sell their laptops them to the Schools for over $2000

From: z1 on
On 26/07/2010 6:32 AM, Don McKenzie wrote:

> July 23, 2010
>
> India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools
>
> India has come up with a 35-dollar touch-screen "laptop" -- a computing
> prototype that it aims to make available to students from elementary
> schools to universities.
>
> The gadget, developed by the elite Indian Institute of Technology and
> the Indian Institute of Science, is part of a push to give students a
> better education and technical skills needed to boost India's economic
> growth.
>
> The first users are expected to be university students with introduction
> of the Linux-based computing device targeted for next year.
>
> http://www.physorg.com/news199083092.html
>

> Cheers Don...

You really shouldn't believe everything you see on the internet.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/201840/Why_the_35_Tablet_Will_Never_Exist.html?tk=rss_news