From: Spam Bob on
I'm in the market for industrial grade compact flash memory in the 256MB
to 1GB range. Some brands I see are:

Western Digital (Formally Silicon Systems)
PSI-APRO
C-1 Technology
Sandisk
STEC
Transcend

All are rated from -40 deg C to +85 deg C. Durability is more important
that write/read speed. Looking for guidance on manufacturers.
From: Arno on
Spam Bob <spambob(a)bikinibottom.net> wrote:
> I'm in the market for industrial grade compact flash memory in the 256MB
> to 1GB range. Some brands I see are:

> Western Digital (Formally Silicon Systems)
> PSI-APRO
> C-1 Technology
> Sandisk
> STEC
> Transcend

> All are rated from -40 deg C to +85 deg C. Durability is more important
> that write/read speed. Looking for guidance on manufacturers.

What are your requirements / what is your application?

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Spam Bob on
Arno wrote:
> Spam Bob <spambob(a)bikinibottom.net> wrote:
>> I'm in the market for industrial grade compact flash memory in the 256MB
>> to 1GB range. Some brands I see are:
>
>> Western Digital (Formally Silicon Systems)
>> PSI-APRO
>> C-1 Technology
>> Sandisk
>> STEC
>> Transcend
>
>> All are rated from -40 deg C to +85 deg C. Durability is more important
>> that write/read speed. Looking for guidance on manufacturers.
>
> What are your requirements / what is your application?
>
> Arno

Campbell Scientific produces data loggers and they sell a module that
supports CF cards for memory expansion. Campbell will happily sell a CF
card, but they are very expensive through that company. The recommended
card is "industrial grade." The temperature range I expect to operate
these is about -40 deg C to +50 deg C.
From: Arno on
Spam Bob <spambob(a)bikinibottom.net> wrote:
> Arno wrote:
>> Spam Bob <spambob(a)bikinibottom.net> wrote:
>>> I'm in the market for industrial grade compact flash memory in the 256MB
>>> to 1GB range. Some brands I see are:
>>
>>> Western Digital (Formally Silicon Systems)
>>> PSI-APRO
>>> C-1 Technology
>>> Sandisk
>>> STEC
>>> Transcend
>>
>>> All are rated from -40 deg C to +85 deg C. Durability is more important
>>> that write/read speed. Looking for guidance on manufacturers.
>>
>> What are your requirements / what is your application?
>>
>> Arno

> Campbell Scientific produces data loggers and they sell a module that
> supports CF cards for memory expansion. Campbell will happily sell a CF
> card, but they are very expensive through that company. The recommended
> card is "industrial grade." The temperature range I expect to operate
> these is about -40 deg C to +50 deg C.

Well, I expect they are selling the cheapest extended temperature
range cards and make significat profit on them.

I would expect that the well know vendors (Kingston, Sandisk,
Transcend) all have reasonable quality. It might be difficult
to get cards this small though. My usual source sells no CFs
smaller than 2GB. My electronics parts supplier also has smaller
"industrial" ones from Silicon Systems with datasheets online
and yes, they are better than normal ones and a 256BM one costs
about as much as a 8GB consumer grade one.

You should by all means get cards with the required temperature
range. If this is for a short term deployment, cheaper cards
should be enough, for longer term (years), go with industrial.
If in doubt, consult the datasheet of the individual card.

Arno
From: Ian D on

"Spam Bob" <spambob(a)bikinibottom.net> wrote in message
> I'm in the market for industrial grade compact flash memory in the 256MB
> to 1GB range. Some brands I see are:
>
> Western Digital (Formally Silicon Systems)
> PSI-APRO
> C-1 Technology
> Sandisk
> STEC
> Transcend
>
> All are rated from -40 deg C to +85 deg C. Durability is more important
> that write/read speed. Looking for guidance on manufacturers.

The Sandisk 5000 Industrial series CF cards are designed
to MIL spec, which is the highest spec for any electronics.