From: otter on
On Jul 27, 2:26 am, "David J Taylor" <david-
tay...(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> "otter" <bighorn_b...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> []
>
> > I was curious, myself, so here is my attempt:
>
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/4832362483/sizes/l/
>
> > Far from perfect, but gives you an idea (or whoever looks at these for
> > you).
>
> To me, it looks much more artificial than the original with that false
> motion-blur.  The cropping has helped, though.
>
> David

It would be better to capture it with blur, rather than doing it in
PS, I agree.

Like I said, it is far from perfect, or close to finished. Since it
isn't my photo, I'm not going to spend a lot of time on it. But I
think if someone put in the effort, they could get close to what you
could get in-camera by panning the shot.

Another problem is that there are a lot of artifacts that show up when
you crop and blow up this image, even without applying the motion
blurs. It would be better to start with a higher quality image.
From: Dudley Hanks on

"Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message news:...

> "otter" <bighorn_bill(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jul 26, 5:23 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>> "otter" <bighorn_b...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> On Jul 26, 7:46 am, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>>
>> > Re, the car, I just did a rough crop using IrfanView, based on comments
>> > few others had made when they viewed the pic. Any suggestions on how to
>> > trim?
>>
>> All the stuff at the top is distracting, and doesn't add to the
>> photo. I'd crop it down to where the white tires were at the top of
>> the frame. Something like this:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/4832405554/in/set-721576245...
>>
>> If you have photoshop or similar, you might try playing around with
>> adding a motion blur to the background and tires.
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what I can do.
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Dudley
>
> I was curious, myself, so here is my attempt:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/4832362483/sizes/l/
>
> Far from perfect, but gives you an idea (or whoever looks at these for
> you).
>
> I forwarded the link to my wife, who does a lot of interpreting /
> describing for me. My kids and a few friends also help when possible.
>
> I'll let you know what she says as soon as she takes a look at it. And
> I'm sure my kids will be interested as well.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. We do have Adobe, but neither my wife nor my
> kids are well-versed in its use. My youngest son is the most interested
> in it, but it plays second fiddle to his music. I'm sure your handywork
> will spark a bit more interest in him as to the program's capabilities.
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

According to my wife, the pic looks great.

She says that, while it may not be as natural looking as an in-camera pan,
it's hard to notice if you aren't closely scrutinizing the image.

She's curious how you did it. I told her you used the "motion blur" tool,
but that's all I can say about it.

I'm sure she'll be checking out the PhotoShop toolkit this evening, trying a
few experiments.

Take Care,
Dudley

From: otter on
On Jul 27, 7:37 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
> "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message news:...
>
> > "otter" <bighorn_b...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > On Jul 26, 5:23 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
> >> "otter" <bighorn_b...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> All the stuff at the top is distracting, and doesn't add to the
> >> photo. I'd crop it down to where the white tires were at the top of
> >> the frame. Something like this:
>
> >>http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/4832405554/in/set-721576245....
>
> >> If you have photoshop or similar, you might try playing around with
> >> adding a motion blur to the background and tires.
>
> >> Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what I can do.
>
> >> Take Care,
> >> Dudley
>
> > I was curious, myself, so here is my attempt:
>
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/4832362483/sizes/l/
>
> > Far from perfect, but gives you an idea (or whoever looks at these for
> > you).
>
> > I forwarded the link to my wife, who does a lot of interpreting /
> > describing for me.  My kids and a few friends also help when possible..
>
> > I'll let you know what she says as soon as she takes a look at it.  And
> > I'm sure my kids will be interested as well.
>
> > Thanks for the suggestions.  We do have Adobe, but neither my wife nor my
> > kids are well-versed in its use.  My youngest son is the most interested
> > in it, but it plays second fiddle to his music.  I'm sure your handywork
> > will spark a bit more interest in him as to the program's capabilities.
>
> > Take Care,
> > Dudley
>
> According to my wife, the pic looks great.
>
> She says that, while it may not be as natural looking as an in-camera pan,
> it's hard to notice if you aren't closely scrutinizing the image.
>
> She's curious how you did it.  I told her you used the "motion blur" tool,
> but that's all I can say about it.
>
> I'm sure she'll be checking out the PhotoShop toolkit this evening, trying a
> few experiments.
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley- Hide quoted text -

I'm a photoshop newbie. I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but
here is what I did in PSE8 (pretty sure other versions have similar
capabilities):

- working on a copy of the original
- rough crop, slightly larger than final
- duplicate layer from background, and select the new layer to work on
- select around the car using the "quick selection tool". Use "add to
selection" and "subtract from selection" to get a selection outline
just around the car.
- invert selection, so everything other than the car is selected
- Filter->blur->motion blur
- Play with the controls until you like it
- Make another duplicate layer and work on it
- For each wheel, front and back...
- select the outline of each wheel
- apply a circular blur (and play with the controls) .

Now here's where my ineptitude shows. I probably should have deleted
the car before applying the motion blur to the background, because I
got colors from the car mixed into the blurred background. I ended up
using the "clone stamp" tool to quickly clean much of that up, but
there is probably a better way (like maybe deleting the car first).
Or, perhaps a completely different way that is obvious to anyone who
isn't stupid like me. Probably someone will mention "adjustment
layers" which I'm not an expert at.

When you are happy, final crop, sharpen, and save.

I left off a couple of steps, like color-balancing the original, which
should happen early on and preferably start with a RAW file. I forgot
to do that with my second edit, which is why it has a slight blue
cast, as does your original.

Also, notice that the white on the car (particularly on the "TARGET"
text and bullseye) has some red artifacts that are in the original
picture, probably from the jpeg processing. I would clean those up in
photoshop if I were trying to make a nice picture out of this. If you
were using RAW files from your XSi, those probably wouldn't be there.

From: Dudley Hanks on

> [...]

Or, perhaps a completely different way that is obvious to anyone who
isn't stupid like me. Probably someone will mention "adjustment
layers" which I'm not an expert at.

When you are happy, final crop, sharpen, and save.

I left off a couple of steps, like color-balancing the original, which
should happen early on and preferably start with a RAW file. I forgot
to do that with my second edit, which is why it has a slight blue
cast, as does your original.

Also, notice that the white on the car (particularly on the "TARGET"
text and bullseye) has some red artifacts that are in the original
picture, probably from the jpeg processing. I would clean those up in
photoshop if I were trying to make a nice picture out of this. If you
were using RAW files from your XSi, those probably wouldn't be there.

Thanks for the details; I'll forward to my wife. She likes playing with
Adobe, but hasn't gotten around to taking any courses / buying a tutorial,
yet.

She's actually a pretty good photographer, but doesn't give herself enough
credit, in spite of having her work recognized locally by the photo club she
attends sparadically, and the local archive which has exhibited some of her
work.

As for the pic, it was a small part of a larger image, one of the few pics I
got where the car was basically in focus, and not partially obscured by the
safety fence between where I was sitting and the track.

Perhaps, next year, I'll be better prepared and get something closer to a
full frame pic to work with.

Take Care,
Dudley