From: Buffalo on

Robin Bignall wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 16:12:08 -0700, "Buffalo" <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>

> ["infected" messages before logon screen]

>>> And it found nothing.
>>
>> Perhaps just let Avira run for several days while Kaspersky is
>> disabled, if you wish.
>> Buffalo
>>
> I don't think it'll find anything.
> There appears to be no rhyme or reason behind these messages. For
> example, when I rebooted last night, there were hundreds of these
> messages, in bunches. I can't tell how many are in a bunch, maybe 32
> or 64. A bunch scrolls for about five seconds, there's a two second
> gap, then another bunch scrolls, and so on. Last night there were four
> of these bunches, plus half a screen of bunch five. Tonight when I
> booted there were just two of these messages (not two bunches). I
> booted again and there were none. I've found this behaviour before.
> These messages seem to come and go.
>
> I just again checked the contents of all files on c: and d:, and the
> registry, for the string "infection", without finding anything
> associated in any way with an executable. Weird.

I was just suggesting that possibly Kaspersky could be the culprit and
disabling it and only running Avira to see if the messages stop.
However, I really doubt Kaspersky would react that way.
We know 'something' is generating the messages and hopefully there is
someone in this ng that would have a good suggestion for a program that
could monitor all the startups.
Buffalo
PS: It will be interesting to see what caused it. :)
And, do you have more than one (1) antivirus program running in real time,
such as Windows Defender?

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"Robin Bignall" <docrobin(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Do you use "Windows Washer" or some similar program?

From: Daave on
Robin Bignall wrote:

> Just another piece of data. I just logged on as "administrator" (with
> several screens full of these infection messages) to see if, when I
> rebooted, I might have some "administrator\cookies\index.dat"
> messages.
> When I rebooted back as myself all the infection messages had
> vanished. But this has happened before on reboot.

If you configue a Clean Boot, do you still get these messages?

From: Leythos on
In article <4b23dd60$0$16700$88263eea(a)blocknews.net>, trt(a)void.com
says...
> David H Lipman, Malke, PA Bear, Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Leythos.

I see you're still stalking myself and other in every post you make -
shows just how unethical you are.

Trust yourself.
From: Robin Bignall on
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 19:35:03 -0500, "FromTheRafters" <erratic
@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>"Robin Bignall" <docrobin(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
>Do you use "Windows Washer" or some similar program?

No, only what's in IE8 and CCleaner.
--
Robin
(BrE)