From: Martin on
Dear forum readers,

I've got some bizarre issues...

I'm getting lots of errors in the Problem Reports window from
inkwatson.exe.. Here's what they contain:

Description
Handwriting Recognition Error Reporting Wizard

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: HwRecoErr
RecoGuid: 6D2087D7-61D2-495F-9293-5B7B1C3FCEAB
RecoVersion: 6.0.5728.16387
RecoCompanyName: Microsoft Corporation
TipSkin: lined
InputScopes: unknown
RecognizedText: 1
CorrectedText: ->
OS Version: 6.0.5728.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additionally, some other strange things are happening:
1. The system tray icon showing that the handwriting personalization is
updating never goes away, even if I only add one word and then let it sit for
an hour.

2. (Most likely related to 1.) The two processes "InputPersonalization.exe"
and "ShapeCollector.exe" run all the time, even after a reboot when I haven't
used handwriting for hours.

3. The cursor constantly flickers (about twice per second) with the
'system-busy-in-the-background' cursor image. This happens even after a
reboot, with no programs running.

4. The system is constantly accessing the Hard Drive, even when not in use
and indexing turned off (and disabled).

The system has been doing this for two or three days now. I've been running
Vista for almost four weeks, and only use the pen input for everything (a
keyboard was attached once, for 20 minutes, about two weeks ago for some
programming.)

I'm a techie and have looked all over the place for solutions, both in the
system (Event Log, Group Policy, Services, etc.) and on the web (MS KBs,
Google, Vista Forums, etc.) with no luck.

Some details about the system:
Hardware:
Electrovaya Scribbler SC3100
Bios: Default as of June 2006 (sorry, don't know the version off the top
of my head, but their tech support is terrible, there have never been any
updates anyway...)

Software:
Primary partition - Windows XP Tablet 2005
Second partition - Fresh install of Vista 5600, then upgraded to 5728
-> (The upgrade was several days before problems started.)

Installed apps: (all within 1-2 days of OS installation)
Word, Excel, Outlook, and OneNote (all 2007 B2TR)
Winamp
Adobe Reader
RoboForm
InkDoku

Side notes:
I've done three sessions of handwriting personalization (writing the preset
sentences, one session = a block of 50 sentences, Vista default).
I play with the Services because I hate having tons of memory wasted on
things like Media Center.
I've tried an SFC /scannow.
I've tried setting all services to their default values.
I've tried resetting all Group Policy settings to default.
I've tried giving the personalization tasks higher priority.
I've checked the XP installation - no problems.
I've checked the permissions of the processes.
The event log tells me that the tablet processes (wisptis & tabtip) are
hanging occasionally.
Can't think of anything else...

Anyone have feedback for me?

On the side, anyone know how I can disable the Media Center tasks (eh*.exe)
from running? And, can anyone tell me why wisptis.exe, tabtip.exe, and
tablet.exe often have multiple instances running? I value free CPU cycles!

Thank you very much, any feedback is appreciated!

-Martin
From: Josh Einstein on
Your best bet is to report this using the report bug link on your desktop
(Vista) because it will send information about your specific setup to
Microsoft. I have not experienced such issues on Vista/Tablet PC.

As for disabling MCE, you might have to uninstall from the new add/remove
programs control panel and remove that Windows feature.

--
Josh Einstein / Tablet PC MVP
Einstein Technologies, LLC

From: Steve4450 on
My IBM/Lenovo X41 just started displaying the "flickering hourglass problem"
and I can't get a clean boot with it recurring. It appears that WISPTIS.exe
is sucking down 20% or so of the CPU. Also, while some applications won't
open up, some will...but then if minimized do not show on the task bar...the
input panel icon button uses up the whole task bar.

When it is in this state, use of the pen causes a crash of WISPTIS (with
error message) and an immediate restart.0

I can't figure out any new applications that might have triggered this
problem.

Looks similar to your problem, Martin.

From: Nick on
> I can't figure out any new applications that might have triggered this
> problem.

Hi,

You could try running msconfig from the Run menu and disable/enable
different
startup processes. This might help you to narrow down a problem?

Nick