From: tedd on
At 11:05 AM -0400 4/12/10, Gary wrote:
-snip-
>If normalization is so important, why is it that the INSERT INTO multiple
>tables is not a standard command or procedure?.

In my view, you are mixing apples and oranges.

"Normalization" is simply cutting down on repetition. Inserting data
into multiple tables is a different critter -- it doesn't make
"Normalization" any better or worse.

Just figure out what data you need to acquire, what tables you need
to store it in, and then what references you need to what
tables/fields to use it while reducing repetition.

For example if you have a customer table, you don't need to add all
the customer data to each sales receipt (sales table) when you can
simply record the customer's ID.

Likewise with the items that are sold, you don't need to include all
the items attributes in the sales receipt (sales table) when you can
simply record the items' ID.

None of the above requires some special way to inserting data into
multiple tables -- you just record the sales.

Sales table

Sales ID -- Customer ID -- Item ID -- and probably the date.
1234 -- 6789 -- 101112131415 -- 4/12/10

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------
http://sperling.com http://ancientstones.com http://earthstones.com
From: "Gary" on
Tedd

Thanks for your response, perhaps I was completely missing this or my powers
of expanation have gone out the window.

I have found a solution and I am going to put it in its own post.

Thanks again.

gary

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5023 (20100412) __________

http://www.eset.com