From: Mark Rathgeber on
I have an E1505, need to do a memory upgrade, and everywhere I look it
says that 2 GB is max. Is this correct? I have Win 7 Pro on it, and
it works pretty well, but I just installed the cheapest Dragon
EasySpeaking, and it looks like it will run better with more RAM (I
think I have 1 GB now). I'd like to try 4 GB if I could. Any
thoughts?
From: Ben Myers on
On 7/29/2010 12:34 PM, Mark Rathgeber wrote:
> I have an E1505, need to do a memory upgrade, and everywhere I look it
> says that 2 GB is max. Is this correct? I have Win 7 Pro on it, and
> it works pretty well, but I just installed the cheapest Dragon
> EasySpeaking, and it looks like it will run better with more RAM (I
> think I have 1 GB now). I'd like to try 4 GB if I could. Any
> thoughts?

The E1505 has an Intel 945 chipset, which probably (depending on
variant) supports 4GB, but maybe the BIOS imposes a 2GB limit. Or maybe
not. No documentation is 100% accurate or completely up to date, not
even Dell's. It could also be that 2GB DDR2 SODIMMs were not available
when the E1505 spec was written.

All you can do is give 4GB a try. Or 3GB. The only advantage of 4GB
with 32-bit Windows is to provide slightly faster memory access speeds,
as Windows itself uses little of the memory above 3GB due to the Intel
hardware design.

The Latitude D820, pretty much the same generation as the E1505,
supports 4GB with the Intel 945GM chipset, and I upgraded a guy's system
to 3GB about a year ago... Ben Myers
From: Pat Conover on
"Ben Myers" <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message
> On 7/29/2010 12:34 PM, Mark Rathgeber wrote:
>> I have an E1505, need to do a memory upgrade, and everywhere I look it
>> says that 2 GB is max. Is this correct? I have Win 7 Pro on it, and
>> it works pretty well, but I just installed the cheapest Dragon
>> EasySpeaking, and it looks like it will run better with more RAM (I
>> think I have 1 GB now). I'd like to try 4 GB if I could. Any
>> thoughts?
>
> The E1505 has an Intel 945 chipset, which probably (depending on variant)
> supports 4GB, but maybe the BIOS imposes a 2GB limit. Or maybe not. No
> documentation is 100% accurate or completely up to date, not even Dell's.
> It could also be that 2GB DDR2 SODIMMs were not available when the E1505
> spec was written.
>
> All you can do is give 4GB a try. Or 3GB. The only advantage of 4GB with
> 32-bit Windows is to provide slightly faster memory access speeds, as
> Windows itself uses little of the memory above 3GB due to the Intel
> hardware design.
>
> The Latitude D820, pretty much the same generation as the E1505, supports
> 4GB with the Intel 945GM chipset, and I upgraded a guy's system to 3GB
> about a year ago... Ben Myers

Mark, go to www.crucial.com and download and run the memory advisor. My old
Dimension 4550 was supposed to have a 1GB memory limit according to Dell and
they still say the same on their website. But Crucial knew better and I now
have 2GB of RAM installed and breathed new life into an old machine. Also
find out what memory Crucial recommends and then open another tab and go to
www.newegg.com and look for that same spec Crucial memory, with the same
lifetime guarantee, but at a cheaper price. This group taught me that last
trick and I could have saved about $20 on my $106 upgrade, with faster free
shipping too. Pat