From: Balwinder S Dheeman on
On 08/05/2010 02:28 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:

>>> Thank you for that. Its very valuable experience. I have been able to
>>> port the very latest firefox, to stable, and have it work. Although my
>>> original reason for doing that (needed firefox 3 on AMD 64, to test web
>>> sites against, and iceweasel was then only 2 point something, its 3.5
>>> now) have gone.
>>
>> You're welcome :)
>>
>> I use/repackage binary blobs, the Firefox is 3.6.8 and the Chromium is
>> 6.0.485.0 (54861) Built on Ubuntu 9.10, running on Debian testing, here.
>>
>>> However in my case, with a driver, I imagine the base upon which it
>>> rests is the kernel and kernel libraries only: And those are as fresh in
>>> backports as in testing. Fresher I think.
>>
>> In *testing* linux-image-2.6 is 2.6.32+28; almost up-to-date or quite
>> near to the latest; I build and use a vanilla kernel which is 2.6.34.2
>> now.
>>
>>> So unless there are glaring incompatibilities, I imagine I should be
>>> able to port the latest and have a chance of it working.
>>
>> I hope so, I ported an X driver for SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA cards; though
>> it is not as clean and, or up-to-date as it should be, but is working
>> fine in accelerated mode for 2D graphics and I can watch live TV streams
>> and, or YouTube videos in full-screen mode :)
>>
>> See
>> http://anu.homelinux.net/git/?p=xserver-xorg-video-sis671.git;a=summary
>>
>>> I was more looking for information as to how to install and most
>>> importantly, de-install a bit of either home compiled or experimental
>>> software from the system, when its deep inside the OS.
>>

>> If build and install any software as an APT package, that would a
>> cleanest and, or best way to try anything.
>>
>>> I note that the experimental intel video is the latest and greatest from
>>> the Intel Boyz.
>>>
>>> And I am not sure it comes as source anyway.
>>>
>>> Oh. Looks like it does, but needs libdrm 2.4, whereas I only have 2.3.
>>> Oh well. That's blown that up anyway..
>>>
>>> Looks like I WOULD have to move up to testing to get that...sigh..
>>>
>>> Nope. Not worth the potential several days getting thing back up just to
>>> get rid of screen corruption on scrolling.
>>>
>>> Looks more like a winter job. Move to testing in toto. Or go to
>>> Ubuntu :-)
>>
>> You need not panic and, or worry unless you have very important data on
>> the disks of your machine. FYI, I have some 8 years' of mail and
>> newsgroup archives, many a important documents, a music and video
>> collection as well on a test workstation, which also rsync daily to a
>> server as a backup.
>>

> No, all my important data inc mail is on a server. twin disks rsynched.
>

> The desktop machine is merely a 'view' onto it.
>
> The biggest amount of hassle when I rebuilt last time was trying to
> remember all my online passwords that were probably in some key chain
> somewhere..

Oh, seems you forget to backup or rsync (on to USB stick) $HOME/.gnupg,
$HOME/.keychain, $HOME/.mozilla and $HOME/.ssl etc.

--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
Anu'z Linux(a)HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
> On 08/05/2010 02:28 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:

>>> You're welcome :)
>>>
>>> I use/repackage binary blobs, the Firefox is 3.6.8 and the Chromium is
>>> 6.0.485.0 (54861) Built on Ubuntu 9.10, running on Debian testing, here.

>>> In *testing* linux-image-2.6 is 2.6.32+28; almost up-to-date or quite
>>> near to the latest; I build and use a vanilla kernel which is 2.6.34.2
>>> now.

>>> I hope so, I ported an X driver for SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA cards; though
>>> it is not as clean and, or up-to-date as it should be, but is working
>>> fine in accelerated mode for 2D graphics and I can watch live TV streams
>>> and, or YouTube videos in full-screen mode :)
>>>
>>> See
>>> http://anu.homelinux.net/git/?p=xserver-xorg-video-sis671.git;a=summary

>>> If build and install any software as an APT package, that would a
>>> cleanest and, or best way to try anything.

>>> You need not panic and, or worry unless you have very important data on
>>> the disks of your machine. FYI, I have some 8 years' of mail and
>>> newsgroup archives, many a important documents, a music and video
>>> collection as well on a test workstation, which also rsync daily to a
>>> server as a backup.
>>>
>> No, all my important data inc mail is on a server. twin disks rsynched.
>>

>> The desktop machine is merely a 'view' onto it.
>>
>> The biggest amount of hassle when I rebuilt last time was trying to
>> remember all my online passwords that were probably in some key chain
>> somewhere..
>
> Oh, seems you forget to backup or rsync (on to USB stick) $HOME/.gnupg,
> $HOME/.keychain, $HOME/.mozilla and $HOME/.ssl etc.

AHA!

Is that where they are? I keep nothing in /home except config data..my
REAL home is /home/server...nfs mounted..