From: The Natural Philosopher on
Yup. That's what I want to try. The intel video driver is about 2 years
behind in Debian stable, and it has 'issues'

I want to try installing the debian experimental latest greatest intel
video driver to see if it fixes them.

However, although I have struggled and got te more or less latest
kernels from backports going (2.6.32), (which has helped a LOT of these
issues), I have never tried to slap an 'experimental' package into a
'stable' setup.

Especially not something as core as a video driver.

So I would like any advice going, even 'DONT', as to how to put it in,
and given that I might end up with a setup that cant even run X, how to
get it out again if it's all a Terrible Mistake. Assuming I can still
boot into single user and run the aptitude stuff.

Answers on an nntp postcard, to here..

From: Balwinder S Dheeman on
> Yup. That's what I want to try. The intel video driver is about 2 years
> behind in Debian stable, and it has 'issues'
>
> I want to try installing the debian experimental latest greatest intel
> video driver to see if it fixes them.
>
> However, although I have struggled and got te more or less latest
> kernels from backports going (2.6.32), (which has helped a LOT of these
> issues), I have never tried to slap an 'experimental' package into a
> 'stable' setup.
>
> Especially not something as core as a video driver.
>
> So I would like any advice going, even 'DONT', as to how to put it in,
> and given that I might end up with a setup that cant even run X, how to
> get it out again if it's all a Terrible Mistake. Assuming I can still
> boot into single user and run the aptitude stuff.
>
> Answers on an nntp postcard, to here..

I installed/switched over to Debian *testing* (aka squeeze these days,
release 6.0 is still due) in around 2004 and had been running it without
any major problems, even on a server, since then :)

OTOH, I attempted to try and, or experiment with *unstable* and, or a
mix of both *testing* and *unstable*, but I found that the *unstable*,
as the name says itself, and mixing are not suitable for regular use.

Is better you switch over or dist-upgrade to *testing* and build or
install the requite *unstable* or *experimental* driver from Debian
sources, if needed. Though building one from a vanilla upstream source
could also be a good option, but do look at what patches Debian people
want/suggest to apply. You may skip also all or some of their patches,
provided you understand well what you are doing. In a nutshell, all you
need to do is back-port an *experimental* driver into *testing* :)

--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
Anu'z Linux(a)HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
> On 08/04/10 14:12, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> Yup. That's what I want to try. The intel video driver is about 2 years
>> behind in Debian stable, and it has 'issues'
>>
>> I want to try installing the debian experimental latest greatest intel
>> video driver to see if it fixes them.
>>
>> However, although I have struggled and got te more or less latest
>> kernels from backports going (2.6.32), (which has helped a LOT of these
>> issues), I have never tried to slap an 'experimental' package into a
>> 'stable' setup.
>>
>> Especially not something as core as a video driver.
>>
>> So I would like any advice going, even 'DONT', as to how to put it in,
>> and given that I might end up with a setup that cant even run X, how to
>> get it out again if it's all a Terrible Mistake. Assuming I can still
>> boot into single user and run the aptitude stuff.
>>
>> Answers on an nntp postcard, to here..
>
> I installed/switched over to Debian *testing* (aka squeeze these days,
> release 6.0 is still due) in around 2004 and had been running it without
> any major problems, even on a server, since then :)
>
> OTOH, I attempted to try and, or experiment with *unstable* and, or a
> mix of both *testing* and *unstable*, but I found that the *unstable*,
> as the name says itself, and mixing are not suitable for regular use.
>
> Is better you switch over or dist-upgrade to *testing* and build or
> install the requite *unstable* or *experimental* driver from Debian
> sources, if needed. Though building one from a vanilla upstream source
> could also be a good option, but do look at what patches Debian people
> want/suggest to apply. You may skip also all or some of their patches,
> provided you understand well what you are doing. In a nutshell, all you
> need to do is back-port an *experimental* driver into *testing* :)

Thank you for that. Its very valuable experience. I have been able to
port the very latest firefox, to stable, and have it work. Although my
original reason for doing that (needed firefox 3 on AMD 64, to test web
sites against, and iceweasel was then only 2 point something, its 3.5
now) have gone.

However in my case, with a driver, I imagine the base upon which it
rests is the kernel and kernel libraries only: And those are as fresh in
backports as in testing. Fresher I think.

So unless there are glaring incompatibilities, I imagine I should be
able to port the latest and have a chance of it working.

I was more looking for information as to how to install and most
importantly, de-install a bit of either home compiled or experimental
software from the system, when its deep inside the OS.

I note that the experimental intel video is the latest and greatest from
the Intel Boyz.

And I am not sure it comes as source anyway.

Oh. Looks like it does, but needs libdrm 2.4, whereas I only have 2.3.
Oh well. That's blown that up anyway..

Looks like I WOULD have to move up to testing to get that...sigh..

Nope. Not worth the potential several days getting thing back up just to
get rid of screen corruption on scrolling.

Looks more like a winter job. Move to testing in toto. Or go to Ubuntu :-)

From: Balwinder S Dheeman on
> Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
>> On 08/04/10 14:12, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>> Yup. That's what I want to try. The intel video driver is about 2 years
>>> behind in Debian stable, and it has 'issues'
>>>
>>> I want to try installing the debian experimental latest greatest intel
>>> video driver to see if it fixes them.
>>>
>>> However, although I have struggled and got te more or less latest
>>> kernels from backports going (2.6.32), (which has helped a LOT of these
>>> issues), I have never tried to slap an 'experimental' package into a
>>> 'stable' setup.
>>>
>>> Especially not something as core as a video driver.
>>>
>>> So I would like any advice going, even 'DONT', as to how to put it in,
>>> and given that I might end up with a setup that cant even run X, how to
>>> get it out again if it's all a Terrible Mistake. Assuming I can still
>>> boot into single user and run the aptitude stuff.
>>>
>>> Answers on an nntp postcard, to here..
>>
>> I installed/switched over to Debian *testing* (aka squeeze these days,
>> release 6.0 is still due) in around 2004 and had been running it without
>> any major problems, even on a server, since then :)
>>
>> OTOH, I attempted to try and, or experiment with *unstable* and, or a
>> mix of both *testing* and *unstable*, but I found that the *unstable*,
>> as the name says itself, and mixing are not suitable for regular use.
>>
>> Is better you switch over or dist-upgrade to *testing* and build or
>> install the requite *unstable* or *experimental* driver from Debian
>> sources, if needed. Though building one from a vanilla upstream source
>> could also be a good option, but do look at what patches Debian people
>> want/suggest to apply. You may skip also all or some of their patches,
>> provided you understand well what you are doing. In a nutshell, all you
>> need to do is back-port an *experimental* driver into *testing* :)
>>

> Thank you for that. Its very valuable experience. I have been able to
> port the very latest firefox, to stable, and have it work. Although my
> original reason for doing that (needed firefox 3 on AMD 64, to test web
> sites against, and iceweasel was then only 2 point something, its 3.5
> now) have gone.

You're welcome :)

I use/repackage binary blobs, the Firefox is 3.6.8 and the Chromium is
6.0.485.0 (54861) Built on Ubuntu 9.10, running on Debian testing, here.

> However in my case, with a driver, I imagine the base upon which it
> rests is the kernel and kernel libraries only: And those are as fresh in
> backports as in testing. Fresher I think.

In *testing* linux-image-2.6 is 2.6.32+28; almost up-to-date or quite
near to the latest; I build and use a vanilla kernel which is 2.6.34.2 now.

> So unless there are glaring incompatibilities, I imagine I should be
> able to port the latest and have a chance of it working.

I hope so, I ported an X driver for SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA cards; though
it is not as clean and, or up-to-date as it should be, but is working
fine in accelerated mode for 2D graphics and I can watch live TV streams
and, or YouTube videos in full-screen mode :)

See http://anu.homelinux.net/git/?p=xserver-xorg-video-sis671.git;a=summary

> I was more looking for information as to how to install and most
> importantly, de-install a bit of either home compiled or experimental
> software from the system, when its deep inside the OS.

If build and install any software as an APT package, that would a
cleanest and, or best way to try anything.

> I note that the experimental intel video is the latest and greatest from
> the Intel Boyz.
>
> And I am not sure it comes as source anyway.
>
> Oh. Looks like it does, but needs libdrm 2.4, whereas I only have 2.3.
> Oh well. That's blown that up anyway..
>
> Looks like I WOULD have to move up to testing to get that...sigh..
>
> Nope. Not worth the potential several days getting thing back up just to
> get rid of screen corruption on scrolling.
>
> Looks more like a winter job. Move to testing in toto. Or go to Ubuntu :-)

You need not panic and, or worry unless you have very important data on
the disks of your machine. FYI, I have some 8 years' of mail and
newsgroup archives, many a important documents, a music and video
collection as well on a test workstation, which also rsync daily to a
server as a backup.

From: The Natural Philosopher on
Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
> [...]
> cleanest and, or best way to try anything.
>
>> I note that the experimental intel video is the latest and greatest from
>> the Intel Boyz.
>>
>> And I am not sure it comes as source anyway.
>>
>> Oh. Looks like it does, but needs libdrm 2.4, whereas I only have 2.3.
>> Oh well. That's blown that up anyway..
>>
>> Looks like I WOULD have to move up to testing to get that...sigh..
>>
>> Nope. Not worth the potential several days getting thing back up just to
>> get rid of screen corruption on scrolling.
>>
>> Looks more like a winter job. Move to testing in toto. Or go to Ubuntu :-)
>
> You need not panic and, or worry unless you have very important data on
> the disks of your machine. FYI, I have some 8 years' of mail and
> newsgroup archives, many a important documents, a music and video
> collection as well on a test workstation, which also rsync daily to a

No, all my important data inc mail is on a server. twin disks rsynched.

The desktop machine is merely a 'view' onto it.

The biggest amount of hassle when I rebuilt last time was trying to
remember all my online passwords that were probably in some key chain
somewhere..