From: Auric__ on
So, I've got an old laptop with DOS on it. It used to have Win95, but I...
removed it. I tried installing Win98SE, but the installer complained about
there not being enough memory.

So. Is there any hack/tweak/whatever that I can use to install 98 on a
machine with only 4MB RAM?

(The best suggestion I've had so far is to install on a "normal" machine and
then clone the install over.)

--
Great Gods below!
From: 98 Guy on
Auric__ wrote:

> So, I've got an old laptop with DOS on it. It used to have Win95,
> but I... removed it. I tried installing Win98SE, but the installer
> complained about there not being enough memory.
>
> So. Is there any hack/tweak/whatever that I can use to install
> 98 on a machine with only 4MB RAM?

It's going to be pretty brutal to run win-98 on 4mb of ram, on a screen
that is probably vga resolution (640 x 480).

The easy answer is to buy more memory, but I'm guessing that this laptop
is maybe a Toshiba Satellite cira 1996 or 1997 and it came with 4 mb and
adding another 4 mb card is going to cost probably $100.
From: Auric__ on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 01:42:03 GMT, 98 Guy wrote:

> Auric__ wrote:
>
>> So, I've got an old laptop with DOS on it. It used to have Win95,
>> but I... removed it. I tried installing Win98SE, but the installer
>> complained about there not being enough memory.
>>
>> So. Is there any hack/tweak/whatever that I can use to install
>> 98 on a machine with only 4MB RAM?
>
> It's going to be pretty brutal to run win-98 on 4mb of ram, on a screen
> that is probably vga resolution (640 x 480).

Probably. I'd still like to try.

> The easy answer is to buy more memory, but I'm guessing that this laptop
> is maybe a Toshiba Satellite cira 1996 or 1997 and it came with 4 mb and
> adding another 4 mb card is going to cost probably $100.

It's a Sager model 862. I can't find it on their website, even under their
"archive system", although it *might* be what the site calls "NP8620".
(Plenty of hits on the www trying to sell me parts, though.)

It has two slots for RAM sticks, but if it's anything resembling $100 each
then forget it. (Some sites seem to suggest maybe $75 for 32MB.)

(If it *is* an "NP8620" then it doesn't have official support for anything
newer than 95 & NT4. Maybe I'll load up OS/2...)

--
....like being in jail, with the chance of drowning.