From: DemoDisk on
The System:

K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard (MS-7025)
AMD Athlon64 3000+ w Intel MMX Technology
Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
WD 20GB HDD
Radeon 8500 video card
1 GB Crucial RAM
Win98SE
IE 6.00.2800.1106
OE 6.00.2800.1123

The Problem:

I'm Still using Windows 98SE. Internet Explorer has been unstable for a
loong time. Becomes unresponsive, finally results in BSOD error msgs,
then reboot.

Every OL session ends that way -- IE gets jammed up waiting for Close
Program dialog box to appear. It takes down every other open window app
with it.

Possible cure: I just got a donated DELL minitower with WinXP installed
on a 40GB hdd.

If I can't diagnose or solve the instability problem with IE under
Windows 98, could I just swap my old 20GB drive for the one with XP on
it? (and move � a ton of files over?)

Issues:

The XP tower boots and responds slowly, maybe bcz it has old Norton
antivirus installed. There may be other problems, but it works OK

I have the Win98SE key and installation disk, but only the product key
for WinXP (there's a sticker on the case)

I can't upgrade from 98SE to Windows7. Could I u/g from XP to 7 if I get
it running?
Is it advisable to post this in the ms.public.windows NGs?

Your helpful comments/ideas welcome.
Thanks,
Jm

From: richard on
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:16:21 -0500, DemoDisk wrote:

> The System:
>
> K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard (MS-7025)
> AMD Athlon64 3000+ w Intel MMX Technology
> Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
> WD 20GB HDD
> Radeon 8500 video card
> 1 GB Crucial RAM
> Win98SE
> IE 6.00.2800.1106
> OE 6.00.2800.1123
>
> The Problem:
>
> I'm Still using Windows 98SE. Internet Explorer has been unstable for a
> loong time. Becomes unresponsive, finally results in BSOD error msgs,
> then reboot.
>
> Every OL session ends that way -- IE gets jammed up waiting for Close
> Program dialog box to appear. It takes down every other open window app
> with it.
>
> Possible cure: I just got a donated DELL minitower with WinXP installed
> on a 40GB hdd.
>
> If I can't diagnose or solve the instability problem with IE under
> Windows 98, could I just swap my old 20GB drive for the one with XP on
> it? (and move � a ton of files over?)
>
> Issues:
>
> The XP tower boots and responds slowly, maybe bcz it has old Norton
> antivirus installed. There may be other problems, but it works OK
>
> I have the Win98SE key and installation disk, but only the product key
> for WinXP (there's a sticker on the case)
>
> I can't upgrade from 98SE to Windows7. Could I u/g from XP to 7 if I get
> it running?
> Is it advisable to post this in the ms.public.windows NGs?
>

> Your helpful comments/ideas welcome.
> Thanks,
> Jm

No problem.
Partition the 20gig in two. Move all wanted file programs to the 2nd
partition leaving only the OS. Then scrap the OS entirely. Then you can
install the 2nd drive into the dell.

OR

You can just transfer the wanted files to the dell via lan cable, or even
SD cards/flash drives, and then wipe the 20gig drive clean and use it in
the dell.
From: richard on
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:16:21 -0500, DemoDisk wrote:

> The System:
>
> K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard (MS-7025)
> AMD Athlon64 3000+ w Intel MMX Technology
> Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
> WD 20GB HDD
> Radeon 8500 video card
> 1 GB Crucial RAM
> Win98SE
> IE 6.00.2800.1106
> OE 6.00.2800.1123
>
> The Problem:
>
> I'm Still using Windows 98SE. Internet Explorer has been unstable for a
> loong time. Becomes unresponsive, finally results in BSOD error msgs,
> then reboot.
>
> Every OL session ends that way -- IE gets jammed up waiting for Close
> Program dialog box to appear. It takes down every other open window app
> with it.
>
> Possible cure: I just got a donated DELL minitower with WinXP installed
> on a 40GB hdd.
>
> If I can't diagnose or solve the instability problem with IE under
> Windows 98, could I just swap my old 20GB drive for the one with XP on
> it? (and move � a ton of files over?)
>
> Issues:
>
> The XP tower boots and responds slowly, maybe bcz it has old Norton
> antivirus installed. There may be other problems, but it works OK
>
> I have the Win98SE key and installation disk, but only the product key
> for WinXP (there's a sticker on the case)
>
> I can't upgrade from 98SE to Windows7. Could I u/g from XP to 7 if I get
> it running?
> Is it advisable to post this in the ms.public.windows NGs?
>

> Your helpful comments/ideas welcome.
> Thanks,
> Jm

Just curious, have you tried clearing the temp files cache?
From: wisdomkiller & pain on
DemoDisk wrote:

> The System:
>
> K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard (MS-7025)
> AMD Athlon64 3000+ w Intel MMX Technology
> Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
> WD 20GB HDD
> Radeon 8500 video card
> 1 GB Crucial RAM
> Win98SE
> IE 6.00.2800.1106
> OE 6.00.2800.1123
>
> The Problem:
>
> I'm Still using Windows 98SE. Internet Explorer has been unstable for a
> loong time. Becomes unresponsive, finally results in BSOD error msgs,
> then reboot.
>
> Every OL session ends that way -- IE gets jammed up waiting for Close
> Program dialog box to appear. It takes down every other open window app
> with it.

Win98 was nice for dos applications, when there were.
Now we use dosbox or dosemu in linux for these old games.

> Possible cure: I just got a donated DELL minitower with WinXP installed
> on a 40GB hdd.
>
> If I can't diagnose or solve the instability problem with IE under
> Windows 98, could I just swap my old 20GB drive for the one with XP on
> it? (and move � a ton of files over?)

Win98 may even boot in safe mode, with the dell, and detect the new
hardware (though hard to find drivers). But it will get cluttered and
messed up even more so. I certainly doubt it will run more stable.

> Issues:
>
> The XP tower boots and responds slowly, maybe bcz it has old Norton
> antivirus installed. There may be other problems, but it works OK
>
> I have the Win98SE key and installation disk, but only the product key
> for WinXP (there's a sticker on the case)

So install win98 on the Dell. A fresh one.
Or, try out linux.

> I can't upgrade from 98SE to Windows7. Could I u/g from XP to 7 if I get
> it running?

Why win7 on the worn-out underpowered dell? Stay with XP.
A upgrade without full reinstall would not cure anything and is not
supported from xp to '7.
There may be a recovery partition on the Dell HD but it will install the
old norton as well, most certainly.
Or try to get a recovery xp cd from Dell.
Don't try another one with the productkey on the sticker, it's a oem
locked version.
Oh, and forget to move the xp from a dell (intel?) to a amd. It won't
work.

From: DemoDisk on

"richard" <member(a)newsguy.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:16:21 -0500, DemoDisk wrote:
>
> > The System:
> >
> > K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard (MS-7025)
> > AMD Athlon64 3000+ w Intel MMX Technology
> > Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
> > WD 20GB HDD
> > Radeon 8500 video card
> > 1 GB Crucial RAM
> > Win98SE
> > IE 6.00.2800.1106
> > OE 6.00.2800.1123
> >
> > The Problem:
> >
> > I'm Still using Windows 98SE. Internet Explorer has been unstable
for a
> > loong time. Becomes unresponsive, finally results in BSOD error
msgs,
> > then reboot.
> >
> > Every OL session ends that way -- IE gets jammed up waiting for
Close
> > Program dialog box to appear. It takes down every other open window
app
> > with it.
> >
> > Possible cure: I just got a donated DELL minitower with WinXP
installed
> > on a 40GB hdd.
> >
> > If I can't diagnose or solve the instability problem with IE under
> > Windows 98, could I just swap my old 20GB drive for the one with XP
on
> > it? (and move � a ton of files over?)
> >
> > Issues:
> >
> > The XP tower boots and responds slowly, maybe bcz it has old Norton
> > antivirus installed. There may be other problems, but it works OK
> >
> > I have the Win98SE key and installation disk, but only the product
key
> > for WinXP (there's a sticker on the case)
> >
> > I can't upgrade from 98SE to Windows7. Could I u/g from XP to 7 if I
get
> > it running?
> > Is it advisable to post this in the ms.public.windows NGs?
> >

> > Your helpful comments/ideas welcome.
> > Thanks,
> > Jm
>
> Just curious, have you tried clearing the temp files cache?

Every time the rig crashes, I boot into safe mode, click IE Properties
and clear the temp files and cookies. No effect, AFAICT.

Then I use Scandisk/manual error correction to see what it found.
Sometimes an error, sometimes none.

When Scandisk finds errors, they're usually about the boot area, the
cleanup.log, lost file fragments. I don't know which of them would cause
IE to lock up, but I SAVED THE ERROR MESSAGES.
Y'know...in case anyone wants to see em.

BTW, I also have Spyware Blaster, Spybot S&D, and SuperAntiSpyware and
keep them updated. No indications of viruses.

Thanks for listening.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: Install on 4MB RAM?