From: chuckcar on
98 Guy <98(a)Guy.com> wrote in news:4BC3B78E.46008F81(a)Guy.com:

> DemoDisk wrote:
>
>> The System:
>>
>> K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard (MS-7025)
>> AMD Athlon64 3000+ w Intel MMX Technology
>> Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
>> WD 20GB HDD
>> Radeon 8500 video card
>> 1 GB Crucial RAM
>> Win98SE
>> IE 6.00.2800.1106
>> OE 6.00.2800.1123
>>
>> The Problem:
>>
>> I'm Still using Windows 98SE. Internet Explorer has been unstable
>> for a long time.
>
> I'm curious as to why there are win-98 users that haven't made Firefox
> 2.0.0.20 their default browser.
>
> Firefox should have been your default browser for the past 3 years.
>
> It's no secret that IE6 is a terrible browser for *any* OS, including
> win-2k and XP. Regardless if it's fully patched and operational.

You don't *want* IE6 sp2 for 98. It doesn't work properly. You want the
original release. They both cover the period when MS dropped support for
98. The SP's showed it. Their last one for 98 just screwed up windows.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
From: Some Guy on
I need to watch more for numnuts that set followup-to: groups, like this
one did:

chuckcar wrote:

> >> I'm Still using Windows 98SE. Internet Explorer has been unstable
> >> for a long time.
> >
> > I'm curious as to why there are win-98 users that haven't made
> > Firefox 2.0.0.20 their default browser.

> You don't *want* IE6 sp2 for 98. It doesn't work properly.

I don't know what drugs you're on, but IE6-sp2 can't be installed on
win-98, nor win-2k for that matter.

Only XP and higher.
From: DemoDisk on

"Andy" <nospam@> wrote in message
> DemoDisk wrote:
>
> > The Problem:
> >
> > I'm Still using Windows 98SE. Internet Explorer has been unstable
for a
> > loong time.
>
> Indeed. It still is.
>
> > Becomes unresponsive, finally results in BSOD error msgs,
> > then reboot.
> >
> > Every OL session ends that way -- IE gets jammed up waiting for
Close
> > Program dialog box to appear. It takes down every other open window
app
> > with it.
> >
> > Possible cure: I just got a donated DELL minitower with WinXP
installed
> > on a 40GB hdd.
> >
> > If I can't diagnose or solve the instability problem with IE under
> > Windows 98, could I just swap my old 20GB drive for the one with XP
on
> > it? (and move � a ton of files over?)
> >
> > Issues:
> >
> > The XP tower boots and responds slowly, maybe bcz it has old Norton
> > antivirus installed. There may be other problems, but it works OK
> >
> > I have the Win98SE key and installation disk, but only the product
key
> > for WinXP (there's a sticker on the case)
> >
> > I can't upgrade from 98SE to Windows7. Could I u/g from XP to 7 if I
get
> > it running?
> > Is it advisable to post this in the ms.public.windows NGs?
> >

> > Your helpful comments/ideas welcome.
> > Thanks,
> > Jm
>
> Both machines need to be thrown in the landfill. Sorry.
>
> Either that or install Linux.

Ya think that maybe it's the damn OS that needs tossing instead?

From: chuckcar on
Some Guy <Some(a)Guy.com> wrote in news:4BC5BADC.48491C8(a)Guy.com:

> I need to watch more for numnuts that set followup-to: groups, like this
> one did:

>> > I'm curious as to why there are win-98 users that haven't made
>> > Firefox 2.0.0.20 their default browser.
>
>> You don't *want* IE6 sp2 for 98. It doesn't work properly.
>
> I don't know what drugs you're on, but IE6-sp2 can't be installed on
> win-98, nor win-2k for that matter.
>
> Only XP and higher.

Having troubles with your nicks are you Aardvark?

And you're wrong anways. It says *specifically* under Overview that it's
for people who have an *earlier* version of windows than XP. As well
it actually lists below the versions of windows it's meant for.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1E1550CB-5E5D-48F5-B02B-20B602228DE6&displaylang=en#Requirements

It's actually IE 6 SP1, not SP2, but there *is* no IE 6 SP2 anyways.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
From: 98 Guy on
chuckcar wrote:

> > I need to watch more for numnuts that set followup-to: groups,
> > like this one did:

Is there a reason you keep resetting the group distribution - numb nuts?

> And you're wrong anways. It says *specifically* under Overview
> that it's for people who have an *earlier* version of windows
> than XP.

Yes. XP originally came with IE6-SP1. Then MicroShaft came out with
something it called "IE6 - Security Version 1" (or SV1) as part of
XP-SP2. But most people simply called it "IE6-SP2".

IE6-SP2 can only be installed on XP and higher (perhaps only on XP-SP1
and higher).

> It's actually IE 6 SP1, not SP2, but there *is* no IE 6 SP2
> anyways.

Wrong.

Technically, Microsoft called it SV1, but most people call it SP2.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: Install on 4MB RAM?
Next: Windows 98 - A Decade Later