From: kony on
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 01:40:15 -0500, "DemoDisk"
<packrat(a)nospam.com> wrote:

>> Scan the system with popular malware/adware/anti-virus
>> scanners, in particular looking for BHOs, browser helper
>> objects many of which are buggy. Remove any you find, even
>> if it is something you wanted to have installed... until you
>> find the root cause of the instability but as mentioned
>> above if machine reboots itself it is probably not IE to
>> blame by itself.
>
>I used to run AdAware, AVG Free, Spybot S&D, and Spyware Blaster,
>updated them regularly. For Win98SE there isn't an AdAware or AVG any
>more, so I added SuperAntiSpyware. I removed it from the Startup list,
>but I still update it and run it occasionally. None of the scans reveal
>anything wrong. AVG used to report an error with (I think) KERNEL32.DLL.
>I did nothing bcz there was no ill effect.

I was referring to things running within IE, plugins,
toolbars, BHOs, etc. If all else fails reinstall IE.

>> You might check the motherboard and PSU for failed
>> capacitors, or of course the other typical things like
>> failed fans, dust cloggage, etc.
>
>I don't think there are any bad capacitors on this mobo but it's nearly
>5 years old. I had run it with �GB of ram, then Mike Easter told me how
>to safely install 1GB.

.... but did you check?

>> >If I can't diagnose or solve the instability problem with IE under
>> >Windows 98, could I just swap my old 20GB drive for the one with XP
>on
>> >it? (and move � a ton of files over?)
>>
>> What do you mean "Just swap"? It would help if you
>> clarified your intentions.
>
>Just like I said; slap er in there and see if it boots. I admit I wasn't
>thinking: an Intel installation won't work with an AMD processor, right?

Which processor it is doesn't matter, it is a matter of XP
being able to finish booting which requires it to identify
and have a driver (supplied or built in) for the hard drive
controller, because at a point in the boot process it
switches over to identifying where it is installed, what
device (drive/partition) on which controller.

>> Best bet is checking the popular bittorrent 'sites for a
>> Dell OEM XP disc of the same version (home or pro).
>
>Dialup. Recently measured a whole 44K d/l speed. Woohoo...

I would consider that a bigger problem than IE crashing. :)

>> >I can't upgrade from 98SE to Windows7. Could I u/g from XP to 7 if I
>get
>> >it running?
>> >Is it advisable to post this in the ms.public.windows NGs?
>>
>> It is generally a bad idea to upgrade any, but especially an
>> old, OS installation to a newer one.
>
>What??? Am I understanding you correctly, that you shouldn't install
>upgrades? Why? And what *shouId* you do?

A different OS is not an upgrade really, yes you should
patch an OS as you deem necessary but to switch OS versions
it is best to format the partition and install the OS
fresh/clean. Otherwise you may end up with a lot of
clutter, with the same problems persisting, and some things
that formerly worked like apps and drivers may not any
longer.

>> You have not written much of anything about the PURPOSE
>> behind all this work. What is the system going to be used
>> for, I mean the most demanding or esoteric functions?
>
>I'm just trying to achieve a stable system that can use more ram,
>allowing me to access video and audio online -- once I get my poor self
>off dialup and onto broadband of some sort. If I can do that, I'll have
>a system flexible enough to experiment with other things I haven't even
>imagined yet.
>
>Right now my main issues are IE's annoying, frequent lockups, dialup
>speed (my ISP's ending service April 30), and some matters of
>functionality from using such an outdated OS. I could be mistaken about
>the last, but not about the first 2.

Win2k/SP3 or XP w/SP1 or later should suffice. As others
have mentioned, moving away from IE6 or older would help,
BUT I still have an old system around here somewhere that
runs IE6 and it isn't quite as much of a problem as others
suggest... it doesn't crash, isn't particularly prone to
being infected (though I seldom use it, with more use the
opportunity for infection goes up) in the grand scheme of
things though as always where you surf determines a lot of
what you are exposed to online.

>> Will any unique hardware be added that has drivers for only
>> certain OS?
>
>AT&T have said that their DSL modems require XP. That's about the only
>thing right now.

DSL modems don't require a driver AFAIK. They'll tell you
the software that comes in the box needs something but they
may only be referring to a USB driver if that is how you
intend or need to connect it.

>> Do you have apps you need to add which aren't forward or
>> backwards (OS) compatible?
>
>Well, I have an unused CorelDRAW 10 I'd like to try.

I've no idea what the OS requirement is for that.

>> Generally speaking for systems of that age you are best off
>> with WinXP, and as another person mentioned, getting away
>> from IE 6 in general enough though, as mentioned above, it is
>> not likely to be IE in itself that is causing your
>> instability, rather than other browsers have enough benefits
>> over IE that salvaging IE6 may not be the best long term
>> plan... but if you must, you /could/ always do a clean 98
>> install with IE6 to see if the system is still instable.
>
>Is that possible without losing all of my present configuration
>(preferences, bookmarks, and such)?

By clean installation I was referring to formatting the
drive partition first which wipes out everything. You'd
have to back up all those files and settings first.

However someone mentioned Firefox, you might install it and
see how much it can import... you don't actually need to fix
IE in order to switch over to using Firefox, although since
IE is integrated into the OS a fault in it could effect
other uses of the system too... but you didn't mention any
so it may not matter.
From: 98 Guy on
kony wrote:

> > > Win2K was the last good OS from Microsoft.
> >
> > The NT family of OS's was a complete joke. It should have never
> > been used as the OS for home and soho use.
> >
> > Win2K was so bad that when you installed it and then connected
> > it to the internet to install updates and patches, that it
> > almost always became infected by something before you could
> > patch it.
>
> Complete nonsense.

My, aren't we eager to show how ignorant we are?

Windows 2K and XP were vulnerable to system intrusion / infection simply
by being connected to the internet via these vectors:

- default ADMIN$ share object
- TCP / netbios ports 445, 139
- SMB over TCP vs. SMB over NBT
- SMB (Server Message Block) used for file sharing
- In Windows NT it ran on top of NBT (NetBIOS over TCP/IP)
which used the famous ports 137, 138 (UDP) and 139 (TCP).
In Windows 2000, Microsoft added the possibility to run
SMB directly over TCP/IP, without the extra layer of NBT.
- port 445 - Lioten, Randex, Deloader
- LSASS vulnerablity (ms04-011) -> Sdbot, Sasser
- Remote procedure call (RPC) service (Blaster, Welchia)

These are not exploits that arrive via e-mail or as a result of
web-surfing.

It was a fact that unless you had a network firewall or NAT-enabled
internet connection, that during 2003 - 2004 (possibly earlier) that if
you installed win-2K on a system and connected it to the internet to
download various service packs and patches from Microsoft, that your
system would become infected by various network worms before your
service packs and patches were downloaded and installed.

The same was probably true for XP (pre-sp1). And as we know, during
2005 through 2009 there have been new network worms that could perform
the same infection, except for the fact that NAT-enabled broadband
modems and software firewalls were by then more common.

See also:

CVE-2003-352 Buffer overflow in a certain DCOM interface for RPC
CVE-2003-528 Heap-based buffer overflow in the RPCSS DCOM interface
CVE-2003-533 Stack-based buffer overflow Active Directory functions
CVE-2003-717 The Messenger Service for Windows NT through Server 2003
CVE-2003-812 Buffer overflow in a logging function for WKSSVC.DLL
From: kony on
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:40:02 -0400, 98 Guy <98(a)Guy.com>
wrote:

>> > The NT family of OS's was a complete joke. It should have never
>> > been used as the OS for home and soho use.
>> >
>> > Win2K was so bad that when you installed it and then connected
>> > it to the internet to install updates and patches, that it
>> > almost always became infected by something before you could
>> > patch it.
>>
>> Complete nonsense.
>
>My, aren't we eager to show how ignorant we are?

Not we, just you.

Citing a list of vulnerabilities does not prove it would
become infected. It would be like saying if I leave my back
door unlocked when I go for a walk I will definitely be
robbed... hasn't happened.

Fact is, there is no 100% secure desktop PC OS, so a list of
bugs is foolish as if you pretend there is one with no
bugs... it only takes ONE bug, that's the bug the intruder
purposefully targets per which OS it is.
From: 98 Guy on
kony wrote:

> > Win2K was so bad that when you installed it and then connected
> > it to the internet to install updates and patches, that it
> > almost always became infected by something before you could
> > patch it.
>
> Complete nonsense.
>
> > My, aren't we eager to show how ignorant we are?
>
> Not we, just you.

Sez you.

> Citing a list of vulnerabilities does not prove it would
> become infected.

When was the last time you looked at the logs of your broadband
NAT-modem or router?

If or when you do, you'll see constant attempts to connect to your PC's
netbios ports. Those are coming from infected systems on the net,
trying to spread themselves to other systems.

It's a fact that if you perform a fresh install of win-2K or XP-Gold or
XP-SP1, and give that machine a non-firewalled or non-NAT'd internet
connection, it will become infected with something before your first
Windows Update session is completed.

> It would be like saying if I leave my back door unlocked
> when I go for a walk I will definitely be robbed... hasn't
> happened.

Your analogy needs one more element: There are zombies constantly
roving your neighborhood and checking to see if your door is locked.
You walk away from your house for 20 minutes, with your door unlocked,
and it *will* get entered by a zombie.

> Fact is, there is no 100% secure desktop PC OS

That wasn't the point of what I wrote. I never made such a claim.

What I did claim is that under similar circumstances (initial
installation) that Win-98 is *invulnerable* to infiltration and
infection by internet "zombies" (worms) that infect systems that simply
have a live, non-firewalled, non-nat'd internet connection. Windows 2K
and XP-SP0 and SP1 are vulnerable.

> so a list of bugs is foolish

I was posting hard, solid evidence to back up my claim above.

> as if you pretend there is one with no bugs...

Windows 98 is not, and has never been vulnerable to any of the 6
different varieties or families of network worms that have been
discovered over the past 10 years. There is no pretending involved in
that statement.

Why are you being so dense in the head about this?

If I go beyond considering network worms, it's also a fact that windows
98 is, in general, less vulnerable to a whole host of malware (viruses,
trojans, root kits) compared to NT-bases OS's.

> it only takes ONE bug, that's the bug the intruder
> purposefully targets per which OS it is.

I'm not sure exactly when OS targeting started to be used during the
exposure and exploitation phase of malware installation, but I would bet
that by the time that started to happen, that windows 98 was not on the
list of targeted OS's.
From: Andrew Smallshaw on
On 2010-05-02, 98 Guy <98(a)Guy.com> wrote:

> It's a fact that if you perform a fresh install of win-2K or XP-Gold or
> XP-SP1, and give that machine a non-firewalled or non-NAT'd internet
> connection, it will become infected with something before your first
> Windows Update session is completed.

Pure FUD. I have a Win2k development machine here that gets periodic
reinstalls so to be honest it doesn't tend to get patched and
protected as well as it should. It's probably at least six months
since it was last isntalled, but when I ran its first virus scan
a few weeeks ago it was clean. That is a _fact_, not groundless
speculation based on personal prejudice. If your experience is
any different that is more to do with what sites you visit or not
being naturally cautious as to what you click on or download.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews(a)sdf.lonestar.org