From: 98 Guy on
DemoDisk wrote:

> The System:
>
> K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard (MS-7025)
> AMD Athlon64 3000+ w Intel MMX Technology
> Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
> WD 20GB HDD
> Radeon 8500 video card
> 1 GB Crucial RAM
> Win98SE
> IE 6.00.2800.1106
> OE 6.00.2800.1123
>
> The Problem:
>
> I'm Still using Windows 98SE. Internet Explorer has been unstable
> for a long time.

I'm curious as to why there are win-98 users that haven't made Firefox
2.0.0.20 their default browser.

Firefox should have been your default browser for the past 3 years.

It's no secret that IE6 is a terrible browser for *any* OS, including
win-2k and XP. Regardless if it's fully patched and operational.

It's just a bad browser, and it's the bane of web designers.

And why are you running a win-98 machine with 1 gb of ram? Do you know
the problems that can cause without making certain win-98 system
modifications?
From: §nühw0£f on
98 Guy wrote:
> DemoDisk wrote:
>
>> The System:
>>
>> K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard (MS-7025)
>> AMD Athlon64 3000+ w Intel MMX Technology
>> Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
>> WD 20GB HDD
>> Radeon 8500 video card
>> 1 GB Crucial RAM
>> Win98SE
>> IE 6.00.2800.1106
>> OE 6.00.2800.1123
>>
>> The Problem:
>>
>> I'm Still using Windows 98SE. Internet Explorer has been unstable
>> for a long time.
>
> I'm curious as to why there are win-98 users that haven't made Firefox
> 2.0.0.20 their default browser.
>
> Firefox should have been your default browser for the past 3 years.

OffByOne is a better browser for just reading text heavy websites or
where java isnt necessary.

> It's no secret that IE6 is a terrible browser for *any* OS, including
> win-2k and XP. Regardless if it's fully patched and operational.
>
> It's just a bad browser, and it's the bane of web designers.
>
> And why are you running a win-98 machine with 1 gb of ram? Do you know
> the problems that can cause without making certain win-98 system
> modifications?

Heh...turn off virtual memory.

--
http://www.skepticalscience.com/
From: chuckcar on
"DemoDisk" <packrat(a)nospam.com> wrote in

> The System:
>
> K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard (MS-7025)
> AMD Athlon64 3000+ w Intel MMX Technology
> Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
> WD 20GB HDD
> Radeon 8500 video card
> 1 GB Crucial RAM
> Win98SE
> IE 6.00.2800.1106
> OE 6.00.2800.1123
>
> The Problem:
>
> I'm Still using Windows 98SE. Internet Explorer has been unstable for
> a loong time. Becomes unresponsive, finally results in BSOD error
> msgs, then reboot.

Even after a clean install? And the BSOD text was?

> Every OL session ends that way -- IE gets jammed up waiting for Close
> Program dialog box to appear. It takes down every other open window
> app with it.

So run *nothing* but your firewall, AV software and what you start
yourself.

> Possible cure: I just got a donated DELL minitower with WinXP
> installed on a 40GB hdd.

That drive's going to die. *real* soon. You can't even buy 80 gig drives
new anymore.

> If I can't diagnose or solve the instability problem with IE under
> Windows 98, could I just swap my old 20GB drive for the one with XP on
> it? (and move � a ton of files over?)
>
> Issues:
>
> The XP tower boots and responds slowly, maybe bcz it has old Norton
> antivirus installed. There may be other problems, but it works OK
>
> I have the Win98SE key and installation disk, but only the product key
> for WinXP (there's a sticker on the case)
>
> I can't upgrade from 98SE to Windows7. Could I u/g from XP to 7 if I
> get it running?
> Is it advisable to post this in the ms.public.windows NGs?

Just shutdown startup and see if you still get these errore. If you
don't, you know it was in the startup and it's not now running.
*Nothing* needs to be running in startup for windows (any version) to
work period.

start->run "msconfig" <enter> uncheck "Load Startup Group Items" click
apply then ok and reboot.

I noticed you are posting to related alt. groups. You'd have better luck
with comp.* IMHO.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
From: DemoDisk on

"Evan Platt" <evan(a)theobvious.espphotography.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 03:56:43 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <chuck(a)nil.car>
> wrote:
>
> >Even after a clean install? And the BSOD text was?
>
> Have you ever seen a BSOD, chucktard? Quite a few of them display for
> all of one second.

True, and frustrating. But I actually have copied *by hand* a variety of
error messages that didn't vanish. Some of them seem to point at memory
management problems. I say 'seems' bcz, hell, I don't know, which is why
I'm asking here and other ng's.

> >That drive's going to die. *real* soon.
>
> Yes. All drives die in 5 years. We get it.

Is that something chuckcar repeats? I lurk here a bunch and I didn't
know that.

http://www.macmall.com/p/Seagate-Hard-Drives/product~dpno~7182909~pdp.eadegcg

> Do I need to go on?

*aHem* *cough* Well..um.. Hmm,hm-hmm, hmm-hm-hm

> >I noticed you are posting to related alt. groups. You'd have better
luck
> >with comp.* IMHO.
>
> And you'd have better luck ignoring any advice from chucktard.

Then please send some my way, Evan. Much obliged.

From: chuckcar on

> "Evan Platt" <evan(a)theobvious.espphotography.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 03:56:43 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <chuck(a)nil.car>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Even after a clean install? And the BSOD text was?
>>
>> Have you ever seen a BSOD, chucktard? Quite a few of them display for
>> all of one second.
>
> True, and frustrating. But I actually have copied *by hand* a variety
> of error messages that didn't vanish. Some of them seem to point at
> memory management problems. I say 'seems' bcz, hell, I don't know,
> which is why I'm asking here and other ng's.
>

>> >That drive's going to die. *real* soon.
>>
>> Yes. All drives die in 5 years. We get it.
>

> Is that something chuckcar repeats? I lurk here a bunch and I didn't
> know that.

Take a look at how many posters here talk about getting bad sectors.
Evan is nothing but a useless troll here. About time someone told you
that. Aside from *one* useful wireless networking post I saw here this
week.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last