From: 98 Guy on
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:

> Win2K was the last good OS from Microsoft.

The NT family of OS's was a complete joke. It should have never been
used as the OS for home and soho use.

Win2K was so bad that when you installed it and then connected it to the
internet to install updates and patches, that it almost always became
infected by something before you could patch it.
From: DemoDisk on

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote in message
> In 24hoursupport.helpdesk, DemoDisk wrote:
>
> > "98 Guy" wrote:
> >> I replied to the OP and gave him this advice:
> >>
> >> 1) Running win-98 with 1 gb of RAM will cause problems. Bring
> >> the system ram down to 512 mb.
>
> I never heard that one.
>
> >> 2) Running IE6 is lame, and has been for the past 3 years at least.
> >> On a win-98 box, run Firefox 2.0.0.20 instead.
> >
> > IE6 came with Win98, didn't it -- why is it lame to run it? I'll
have
> > to go reread your post.
>
> Win98 came with IE5. So did Windows 2000.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer

I don't recall updating IE; it would have been so long ago. Sad to think
it was actually a downgrade.

> IE - any of 'em, really - are poor browsers, for a variety of reasons.
> One is security; another is non-standard HTML-rendering. You could ask
> in an HTML authoring group for lots of details.
>
> > A lot of people are jumping on chuckcar and richard more than they
> > offering answers to 24hs.hd requests.
>
> But ... they deserve it!

It gets really, really old... Better that those who can offer help focus
on that instead.

From: DemoDisk on

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote...

> Win2K was the last good OS from Microsoft.

That include the new Windows 7?

From: DemoDisk on

"kony" <spam(a)spam.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:16:21 -0500, "DemoDisk"
> <packrat(a)nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >The System:
> >
> > K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard (MS-7025)
> > AMD Athlon64 3000+ w Intel MMX Technology
> > Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
> > WD 20GB HDD
> > Radeon 8500 video card
> > 1 GB Crucial RAM
> > Win98SE
> > IE 6.00.2800.1106
> > OE 6.00.2800.1123
> >
> >The Problem:
> >
> >I'm Still using Windows 98SE. Internet Explorer has been unstable for
> >loong time. Becomes unresponsive, finally results in BSOD error msgs,
> >then reboot.
>
> What do you mean "then reboot"? Do you mean you choose to
> reboot or the machine does it by itself?

I do it, hitting the Reset button, because by this time the operating
system is completely unresponsive and there's nothing else left to do.

> If you mean the machine does it by itself you do not have an
> IE problem, you have hardware instability and might as well
> ignore IE until the hardware is stable. Two tests I would
> run are Prime 95's Torture Test (large in-place FFTs
> setting) for at least a couple hours, and a memtest86+ boot
> disc/floppy overnight. Any errors reported would need be
> resolved before focusing on the OS or apps like IE.
>

> >Every OL session ends that way -- IE gets jammed up waiting for Close
> >Program dialog box to appear. It takes down every other open window
app
> >with it.
>
> Scan the system with popular malware/adware/anti-virus
> scanners, in particular looking for BHOs, browser helper
> objects many of which are buggy. Remove any you find, even
> if it is something you wanted to have installed... until you
> find the root cause of the instability but as mentioned
> above if machine reboots itself it is probably not IE to
> blame by itself.

I used to run AdAware, AVG Free, Spybot S&D, and Spyware Blaster,
updated them regularly. For Win98SE there isn't an AdAware or AVG any
more, so I added SuperAntiSpyware. I removed it from the Startup list,
but I still update it and run it occasionally. None of the scans reveal
anything wrong. AVG used to report an error with (I think) KERNEL32.DLL.
I did nothing bcz there was no ill effect.

> You might check the motherboard and PSU for failed
> capacitors, or of course the other typical things like
> failed fans, dust cloggage, etc.

I don't think there are any bad capacitors on this mobo but it's nearly
5 years old. I had run it with �GB of ram, then Mike Easter told me how
to safely install 1GB.

> >If I can't diagnose or solve the instability problem with IE under
> >Windows 98, could I just swap my old 20GB drive for the one with XP
on
> >it? (and move � a ton of files over?)
>
> What do you mean "Just swap"? It would help if you
> clarified your intentions.

Just like I said; slap er in there and see if it boots. I admit I wasn't
thinking: an Intel installation won't work with an AMD processor, right?

> No you cannot just throw an XP installation from another
> system into that one and expect it to boot. There ARE ways
> to make it work but they are outside the scope of one usenet
> post. Briefly if that is your intention, Google search for
> (migrate existing XP installation new) and you should get a
> few valid results that mention you can add some registry
> entries and drivers to the existing XP installation while it
> is on its original system /then/ pull the drive and boot XP
> in the other system far enough to plug-n-play hardware
> differences.
>

> >Issues:
> >
> >The XP tower boots and responds slowly, maybe bcz it has old Norton
> >antivirus installed. There may be other problems, but it works OK
>
> If the old Norton AV has no new virus definitions it serves
> little if any purpose. It might respond faster if you
> disable some OS eyecandy and/or have more than 512MB of
> memory installed.

I had to remove SystemWorks from this PC very soon after buying it.
Disabling a useless Norton AV was my first thought to improving the
donated Dell.

> >I have the Win98SE key and installation disk, but only the product
key
> >for WinXP (there's a sticker on the case)
>
> That's not a problem, the license is tied to the system
> through that sticker. All you need is to find an
> (unmolested) XP installation disc ISO online, for the same
> version of windows (for example XP Home SP1, XP Pro, etc).
> You will know you have the right version if the product key
> is accepted when you enter it during installation...
> although you may still need to call MS to activate it if the
> bios isn't close enough.
>
> Best bet is checking the popular bittorrent 'sites for a
> Dell OEM XP disc of the same version (home or pro).

Dialup. Recently measured a whole 44K d/l speed. Woohoo...

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to try, but an unstable IE is just one of
my computing issues : \

> >I can't upgrade from 98SE to Windows7. Could I u/g from XP to 7 if I
get
> >it running?
> >Is it advisable to post this in the ms.public.windows NGs?
>
> It is generally a bad idea to upgrade any, but especially an
> old, OS installation to a newer one.

What??? Am I understanding you correctly, that you shouldn't install
upgrades? Why? And what *shouId* you do?

Btw, I discovered that the u/g path for Windows 7 stops at XP. I can't
upgrade to 7 from 98SE.

> However, the old XP
> system is certianly underpowered to run Win7 well, even if
> you upgrade it to 2GB of system memory it will be less
> desirable than keeping XP on it, including if you have to
> install XP from scratch.

> You have not written much of anything about the PURPOSE
> behind all this work. What is the system going to be used
> for, I mean the most demanding or esoteric functions?

I'm just trying to achieve a stable system that can use more ram,
allowing me to access video and audio online -- once I get my poor self
off dialup and onto broadband of some sort. If I can do that, I'll have
a system flexible enough to experiment with other things I haven't even
imagined yet.

Right now my main issues are IE's annoying, frequent lockups, dialup
speed (my ISP's ending service April 30), and some matters of
functionality from using such an outdated OS. I could be mistaken about
the last, but not about the first 2.

> Will any unique hardware be added that has drivers for only
> certain OS?

AT&T have said that their DSL modems require XP. That's about the only
thing right now.

> Do you have apps you need to add which aren't forward or
> backwards (OS) compatible?

Well, I have an unused CorelDRAW 10 I'd like to try.

> Generally speaking for systems of that age you are best off
> with WinXP, and as another person mentioned, getting away
> from IE 6 in general enough though, as mentioned above, it is
> not likely to be IE in itself that is causing your
> instability, rather than other browsers have enough benefits
> over IE that salvaging IE6 may not be the best long term
> plan... but if you must, you /could/ always do a clean 98
> install with IE6 to see if the system is still instable.

Is that possible without losing all of my present configuration
(preferences, bookmarks, and such)?

I apologize for taking so long to respond, kony. Thanks for your effort.
Jm

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
In 24hoursupport.helpdesk, 98 Guy wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> Win2K was the last good OS from Microsoft.
>
> The NT family of OS's was a complete joke. It should have never been
> used as the OS for home and soho use.

I started using NT with version 3.50. It was a lot better than the
DOS-based versions (95, 98, ME).

> Win2K was so bad that when you installed it and then connected it to
> the internet to install updates and patches, that it almost always
> became infected by something before you could patch it.

Most of that started with XP. Google for: windows xp twenty minutes
But if you activated a firewall prior to accessing the 'net, none of
that ever happened.

--
-bts
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last