From: Mikoyan on
I have a Sony Vaio laptop with 64 bit Wndows 7 Professional installed as
the host OS. I have downloaded and installed Virtual PC and wish to run
Sever 2008 for study/evaluation.

I have the 180 day trial software of Server 2008 as an iso file. When I try
and install it in VPC I get this error message immediately during setup:

'File: \Window\system32\boot\winload.exe

Info: Attempting to load a 64-bit application, however this CPU is not
compatible with 64-bit mode.'

I need to find a way to run Server 2008 as a Virtual PC. Any suggestions?

Regards, Anastas

From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 20:00:24 -0000, "Mikoyan" <Mikoyan(a)someisp.com>
wrote:

>I have a Sony Vaio laptop with 64 bit Wndows 7 Professional installed as
>the host OS. I have downloaded and installed Virtual PC and wish to run
>Sever 2008 for study/evaluation.
>
>I have the 180 day trial software of Server 2008 as an iso file. When I try
>and install it in VPC I get this error message immediately during setup:
>
>'File: \Window\system32\boot\winload.exe

>Info: Attempting to load a 64-bit application, however this CPU is not
>compatible with 64-bit mode.'
>
>I need to find a way to run Server 2008 as a Virtual PC. Any suggestions?
>
>Regards, Anastas

No way to do it, VPC will only work with 32bit OSes. For Microsoft
products, the only solution is Hyper-V, which you can't run as an app,
its below the OS level.

If you want a virtualization app like VPC, you'll need to look at Sun
VirtualBox (free), Parallels Desktop 4(not free), VMWare Workstation
(not free), Player (free), or Server(free).

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
From: David B. on
VPC doesn't support 64 bit guests, you either have to use the 32 bit version
of Server 08 or a different virtualization app that supports 64 bit guests.

From: Mikoyan on
Thanks Steve and David for your help.

I have used VirtualBox successfully to install 64 bit server 2008.

Anyone know why Microsoft has decided that Virtual PC does not support 64
bit guests?

Regards, Anastas

From: Robert Comer on
>Anyone know why Microsoft has decided that Virtual PC does not support 64
>bit guests?

Their main target is the desktop legacy application market -- things
that don't run on Windows 7. It actually does that quite well.

--
Bob Comer