From: Jiri on
Hallo,
Firstly I am new to HP 50G and in this forum, so aplogize for basic
questions.
Primary reason why I bought HP 50G is Celestial Navigation. I want to
install Sparcom Celestial pack library for HP 50G:
http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=7082
I have RCL ed the library to the memory stack and when I wanted to
store it to Port 2 (flash) I got insufficient memory message. I have
650 Kb free space on the flash. I understand, that there are 128
memory segments eg 131072 bytes. Size of the library is 130933. So it
should fit there? I also read somewhere, that the actual available
size is 131072 - 256 - 6, so this library should not fit there. How it
is?

I hope, that if somebody created this library, it should be possible
to load it to the calculator. Why I have this problem? If this library
would not fit to the calculator, is there possibility to fix it (for
instance by cutting some functionality). Does anybody know, how to do
it?

I still hope, that it is again "being new problem"

Thank yu for help and support,

Jiri
From: andreas_moellerNOSPAM on
Hello,

you already asked that question and you already got an answer.
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1365855

Asking again will not change the facts.

> size is 131072 - 256 - 6, so this library should not fit there. How it is?
The size of the library is still 130925 Bytes and the checksum is #
97B1h. So it will not fit in Port2 as stated in the readme file.

> I hope, that if somebody created this library
You did read about the tragic death of the author ?

> it should be possible
> to load it to the calculator. Why I have this problem?
It fits in Port0 or Port1, so store it there.

> Does anybody know, how to do
> it?
Break it apart, squeeze some bytes out (if possible) and rebuild it.

> I still hope, that it is again "being new problem"
This is a "I do not want to bother with it, maybe somebody else can do
it for me" problem, which sadly is common nowadays.
Read the FAQ and the manuals !

Regards,
Andreas
http://www.software49g.gmxhome.de
From: greenchile505 on
On Aug 25, 2:58 am, andreas_moellerNOS...(a)gmx.de wrote:

> This is a "I do not want to bother with it, maybe somebody else can do
> it for me" problem, which sadly is common nowadays.
> Read the FAQ and the manuals !

Andreas, I do not think this is one of those "I'm lazy and need the
correct answer in order to finish my homework" problems, as you call
it. You may have misspoken.

The poster mentions he bought a 50g primarily for this application,
and indeed thought it should work having read the file description on
hpcalc.org. Based on this information, you actually expect a brand new
user to "Break it apart, squeeze some bytes out, and rebuild it"? I am
afraid we are not all HP commercial programmers, such as yourself.

Also, I do not think english is the user's native tongue. When he
wrote "I hope, that if somebody created this library it should be
possible to load it to the calculator" I think he meant "E. Dost took
the time to patch and port this cool program (written by Thomas
Metcalf (RIP)) to the 49g/50g. Should it not work on my 50g?" Your
comment "You did read about the tragic death of the author ?" is
unneccessary and disparaging.

Or perhaps I am not interpreting your english perfectly.

(For the record, the README states: "The HP49/50 library can only be
installed to port 0, or IRAM, due to size limitations in the flash
banks.")

Regards,
Pal G.
From: andreas_moellerNOSPAM on
Hello,

now look, I do not want to turn this into a flame.

> and indeed thought it should work having read the file description on
> hpcalc.org.
You can clearly tell by the question that the author either did not
read this and even more if you read
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1365855
If he read it and did not understand it than the first task would be
to read it so often until it has been understood, after all that was
the reason why it was written down.
And if he expects, that a complex tool can be used without any
knowledge that I do not want to be near to the boat where this person
is navigating...

There is nothing wrong in asking questions, I do that all the time,
too. But what really annoys me are questions which show that the
questioner did not even bother about the simplest things. Usually it
annoys me so much that I do not bother and I should probably keep it
that way...

There are two ways if you are new to something:
1. just babbling around
2. try to figure out what is happening through the resources given
(manuel, FAQs, readmes, etc.) and then when you are sure that you have
checked at least a little bit and do not know what to do further then
ask (hopefully in a polite and intelligent way because one can tell by
the question what has been done by the questioner so far.)
That way you show some respect to the persons who you are expecting to
answer and in this case the questioner deserves an answer.

Clearly it has been my fault that I have taken the time twice
answering such a post. Hopefully I will remind myself so that this
will not happen again.

I dimly remember that once there was something called netiquette at a
time were bandwidth was still precious, at that time comp.sys.hp48 was
a well of resources, today it is only a Google group and people are
asking for the moderator. Nowadays you only have posts like: How do I
install a library.
Again, I apologize, clearly my fault.

> Or perhaps I am not interpreting your english perfectly.
My comment was in no way meant the way you are interpreting it. Please
note that English is also not my mother tongue.

Let’s close this thread,
From: Jiri on
On Aug 25, 7:07 pm, andreas_moellerNOS...(a)gmx.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> now look, I do not want to turn this into a flame.
>
> > and indeed thought it should work having read the file description on
> > hpcalc.org.
>
> You can clearly tell by the question that the author either did not
> read this and even more if you readhttp://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer....
> If he read it and did not understand it than the first task would be
> to read it so often until it has been understood, after all that was
> the reason why it was written down.
> And if he expects, that a complex tool can be used without any
> knowledge that I do not want to be near to the boat where this person
> is navigating...
>
> There is nothing wrong in asking questions, I do that all the time,
> too. But what really annoys me are questions which show that the
> questioner did not even bother about the simplest things. Usually it
> annoys me so much that I do not bother and I should probably keep it
> that way...
>
> There are two ways if you are new to something:
> 1. just babbling around
> 2. try to figure out what is happening through the resources given
> (manuel, FAQs, readmes, etc.) and then when you are sure that you have
> checked at least a little bit and do not know what to do further then
> ask (hopefully in a polite and intelligent way because one can tell by
> the question what has been done by the questioner so far.)
> That way you show some respect to the persons who you are expecting to
> answer and in this case the questioner deserves an answer.
>
> Clearly it has been my fault that I have taken the time twice
> answering such a post. Hopefully I will remind myself so that this
> will not happen again.
>
> I dimly remember that once there was something called netiquette at a
> time were bandwidth was still precious, at that time comp.sys.hp48 was
> a well of resources, today it is only a Google group and people are
> asking for the moderator. Nowadays you only have posts like: How do I
> install a library.
> Again, I apologize, clearly my fault.
>
> > Or perhaps I am not interpreting your english perfectly.
>
> My comment was in no way meant the way you are interpreting it. Please
> note that English is also not my mother tongue.
>
> Let’s close this thread,
> Andreashttp://www.software49g.gmxhome.de

Hallo everybody

I just made the Spracom Celestial navigation running on my one week
old HP 50G.

Though it was not pleasant reading, Andreas thanks for giving me the
right direction...I felt a bit ashamed, reading that the solution is
in README file, though in very simple sentence. The reason why I did
not opened it was, that there is no postfix, so I was not sure which
text editor to use.....Probably next time I will be more courageous.

Anyway here is my lessons learnt for others:
- simply open README file in the Word and read it - it is quite
interesting reading
- load spracom library to SD memory and put it to the calculator
(there is also an option to load the file through USB connection with
PC)
- use leftshit FILE and function RCL to load library to calculator
memory stack
- get out of File Manager
- enter 0 (for Port 0)
- press STO
- press simultaneously ON and F3 (this makes warm restart}
- press rightshift LIB and you should see NAV48 hot key
- press NAV48 hotkey and you should start Spracom Navigation pack
- press QUIT hotkey when you want to leave Spracom Navigation pack
- read attached .pdf for detailed navigation instructions

I agree, we can close this thread.

Jiri