From: Miha Krajnc on
That somewhat worked David. I did it according to your instructions and now
there is a /etc/samba dir with smb.conf. But /etc/init.d/samba still does
not exist. /etc/init.d/smbd does how ever and when i try to start it it
tells me that i should start with "start smbd" or "service start smbd" and
when i do that it says:

"start: Unable to connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket
/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory".

Any more ideas? And thanks for the help!

--
Lep pozdrav, Miha Krajnc.
Hmm, i installed dbus, and i could than start /stop smbd but still i couldnt
conenct to it. THan i remembered i had a simmilar problem once, and i
resolved it by installing the "samba4" package. I tried the same thing now,
and i can connect to the server. But starting samba4 gives out these errors:

* Starting Samba 4 daemon samba

Unknown parameter encountered: "max log size"
Ignoring unknown parameter "max log size"
Unknown parameter encountered: "syslog"
Ignoring unknown parameter "syslog"
Unknown parameter encountered: "passdb backend"
Ignoring unknown parameter "passdb backend"
Unknown parameter encountered: "unix password sync"
Ignoring unknown parameter "unix password sync"
Unknown parameter encountered: "passwd program"
Ignoring unknown parameter "passwd program"
Unknown parameter encountered: "pam password change"
Ignoring unknown parameter "pam password change"
Unknown parameter encountered: "map to guest"
Ignoring unknown parameter "map to guest"
Unknown parameter encountered: "usershare allow guests"
Ignoring unknown parameter "usershare allow guests"
Unknown parameter encountered: "guest ok"
Ignoring unknown parameter "guest ok"
Unknown parameter encountered: "guest ok"
Ignoring unknown parameter "guest ok"
Unknown parameter encountered: "guest ok"
Ignoring unknown parameter "guest ok"

[ OK ]

Anyone know what this means?

--
Lep pozdrav, Miha Krajnc.
On 5 June 2010 18:30, Miha Krajnc <miha.krajnc.mb(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, i installed dbus, and i could than start /stop smbd but still i couldnt
> conenct to it. THan i remembered i had a simmilar problem once, and i
> resolved it by installing the "samba4" package. I tried the same thing now,
> and i can connect to the server. But starting samba4 gives out these errors:
>
>  * Starting Samba 4 daemon samba

The Ubuntu samba4 package is still experimental. You should not
install it unless you know what you are doing.

The description for the Ubuntu samba4 package on 10.04 contains this paragraph:

These packages contain snapshot versions of Samba 4, the next-generation
version of Samba. These should be considered _experimental_, and should
not be used in production. In particular, no guarantees are made with
regard to upgrades between versions.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot(a)gmail.com>