From: ANTant on
Hello,

Through 32-bit Windows Vista U.E.'s Windows Update, I downloaded the
optional "ATI Technogies Inc - Other Hardware - ATI PCI Express (3GIO)
Filter Driver". I rebooted and I noticed my missing network connection.
According to ipconfig, the media is not there. Windows' Device Manager
shows a problem with the onboard network device (Marvell). I couldn't
uninstall the driver so I had to use system restore, and I got my
network back.

What is ATI PCI Express (3GIO) Filter Driver and why did it break my
network connection? I am using an old ASUS K8V SE Deluxe motherboard
with an ATI Radeon 9600 All-In-Wonder card (not using its TV stuff), 512
MB of RAM, a SATA 60 GB HDD (no RAID), etc.

Here are the details from Windows Update:
Download size: 22 KB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

ATI Technogies Inc Other Hardware software update released in November,
2006

More information:
http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20112754

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

Any ideas? Thank you in advance. :)
--
"We are anthill men upon an anthill world." --Ray Bradbury
/\___/\
( )
From: First of One on
Uh, the Asus K8V doesn't have PCI Express slots. Why did you download the
PCI Express filter driver?

From: ANTant on
First of One <root(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:
> Uh, the Asus K8V doesn't have PCI Express slots. Why did you download the
> PCI Express filter driver?

I thought it did. :(
From: First of One on
Now, why would you think the K8V had PCI Express slots? Did you put together
your PC?

Even if you didn't know what type of slots are on the K8V, you should at
least know the 9600 AIW is an AGP card.