From: Man-wai Chang ToDie on

When I set it at AGP 8x on Asrock P4I65G (cheap board), the screen would
become a mess after a game started for more than 5 minutes. Is it
normal? Problem of the card or the board?

There is no BIOS setting to set the AGP speed....

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.23.8
From: First of One on
I've seen this problem with my previous 9800Pro + Soltek K8T800 setup. The
Soltek board didn't have AGP. In ATi's SmartGART control panel there is a
slider to adjust AGP speed. I've seen it in the Control Panel, not sure if
it's still in CCC.

Intel-based boards are usually better with AGP support, though. Do you have
the latest chipset drivers installed?
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=816&lang=eng

Your grandma plays 3D games?

From: Man-wai Chang ToDie on
> I've seen this problem with my previous 9800Pro + Soltek K8T800 setup. The
> Soltek board didn't have AGP. In ATi's SmartGART control panel there is a
> slider to adjust AGP speed. I've seen it in the Control Panel, not sure if
> it's still in CCC.

Currently I locked it at 4x. But the board should support 8x...

> Intel-based boards are usually better with AGP support, though. Do you have
> the latest chipset drivers installed?
> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=816&lang=eng

I did install the 865G chipset driver.

> Your grandma plays 3D games?

Not my grandma, but my sister's daughters. :)

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.23.8
^ ^ 10:36:01 up 2 days 14:58 0 users load average: 0.08 0.02 0.00
news://news.3home.net news://news.hkpcug.org news://news.newsgroup.com.hk
From: First of One on
Ugh. Obviously I wasn't typing at the same pace as my thoughts... Should be
"The Soltek board didn't have AGP speed adjustment in BIOS."

From: First of One on
> Currently I locked it at 4x. But the board should support 8x...

*Should*, but many boards don't work reliably at 8x in combination with many
video cards. It is not a loss, because AGP8x offers zero benefits over AGP4x
in real-world applications (i.e. not 3DMark or SPECViewperf)

http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/articles/show/554

> > Intel-based boards are usually better with AGP support, though. Do you
> > have the latest chipset drivers installed?
> > http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=816&lang=eng
>
> I did install the 865G chipset driver.

Did you install the latest one on the web site, or the one that shipped on
the CD with the mobo?