From: William on
I just placed an order for a HD3870 vid card and the game Crysis from
Newegg. I've been looking around ATI for the latest drivers and came across
this Hot-Fix for Crysis. Unfortunately ATI is a little short on what to do.
Does this hot fix get used on top of 7-10 driver package? Or am I to use
the hot fix on top of 7-11? Or does this hot-fix replace anything installed
and it doesn't matter what version I have installed? ATI states that
"Crysis players should continue using the Crysis hotfix driver". I love
cryptic notes.

I ASSUME that I should just forget the install disk and just install the
Crysis hotfix driver package. Anybody know what is going on. I'm getting a
headache.

William

From: First of One on
Yes, you can forget the install disc and just install the Crysis hotfix
driver package. The "Crysis Hotfix" is just another driver set, so treat it
as such.

From: William on

"First of One" <root(a)127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> Yes, you can forget the install disc and just install the Crysis hotfix
> driver package. The "Crysis Hotfix" is just another driver set, so treat
> it as such.

FoO:

Did as you instructed. I ended up with a yellow question mark, an unknown
device listed in the hardware device manager. I saw that it was pointing to
a HD-Audio device not installed. Well, the HD3870 has an on-board 5.1 audio
mixer for the hdcp output -so I went looking at the DVD that came with the
card.

I found out not only did the HD Audio not install, but I could install
Hydravision and AVIVO Codecs
as well. I did a custom install and put them on my computer. The yellow
question mark was gone, I don't think that I will be using Hydravision, but
it is their. And I haven't used the Avivo codecs so far, but I might try
them in the future. They all show up in the installed software list now.

Anyways, I would suggest that users of the HD 3870 install the DVD that came
with the card and install the Crysis hotfix on top of it without removing
the old install. Or if they would prefer, they could do as I did and go to
the included DVD and pull the additional drivers off of the disk after
installing the Crysis hot-fix.

William

From: William on

> "First of One" <root(a)127.0.0.1> wrote in message
>> Yes, you can forget the install disc and just install the Crysis hotfix
>> driver package. The "Crysis Hotfix" is just another driver set, so treat
>> it as such.
>
> FoO:
>
> Did as you instructed. I ended up with a yellow question mark, an unknown
> device listed in the hardware device manager. I saw that it was pointing
> to a HD-Audio device not installed. Well, the HD3870 has an on-board 5.1
> audio mixer for the hdcp output -so I went looking at the DVD that came
> with the card.
>
> I found out not only did the HD Audio not install, but I could install
> Hydravision and AVIVO Codecs
> as well. I did a custom install and put them on my computer. The yellow
> question mark was gone, I don't think that I will be using Hydravision,
> but it is their. And I haven't used the Avivo codecs so far, but I might
> try them in the future. They all show up in the installed software list
> now.
>
> Anyways, I would suggest that users of the HD 3870 install the DVD that
> came with the card and install the Crysis hotfix on top of it without
> removing the old install. Or if they would prefer, they could do as I did
> and go to the included DVD and pull the additional drivers off of the disk
> after installing the Crysis hot-fix.
>
> William

Update:

After enabling the HD3870's on board audio mixer for hdcp output (which I do
not use) I found my mobo, an ASUS P5WHD Deluxe, on-board audio dead.
After selecting "Do not use this device" under the Device Manger for the
"ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01" my on-board audio
was working once again.

So - it looks like their is a conflict between the ASUS on-board audio
components and the on-board ATI components. It appears they both use the
same components, and hence use the same drivers and resources. I'm going to
have to look into this to see if someone else has run into this and what
they did to fix the problem. As I do not use the hdcp output, I really
don't care too much about this problem. I could always purchase a separate
audio card for my system and step around this problem too.

I would be interested if anyone else has run into this. I'll be keeping an
eye on this one for a while.

William

From: First of One on
"William" <nospam(a)pacifier.com> wrote in message
> Did as you instructed. I ended up with a yellow question mark, an unknown
> device listed in the hardware device manager. I saw that it was pointing
> to a HD-Audio device not installed. Well, the HD3870 has an on-board 5.1
> audio mixer for the hdcp output -so I went looking at the DVD that came
> with the card.

The 5.1 audio only functions if you use the DVI-HDMI adapter and connect the
HDMI output directly to a TV or 5.1 receiver. This is of course because
audio equipment don't accept DVI. If you don't use HDMI there is no point in
installing the driver.

In fact, the HDMI driver is not included with regular WHQL driver packages
either; it has to be downloaded separately:
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/hdmiaudio-xp
AMD probably figured *most* users won't need it.

> I found out not only did the HD Audio not install, but I could install
> Hydravision and AVIVO Codecs as well. I did a custom install and put them
> on my computer. The yellow question mark was gone, I don't think that I
> will be using Hydravision, but it is their.

AVIVO codecs, Hydravision... and there's the WDM capture driver to enable
the T200 VIVO chip. Your card is versatile, but you don't have to install
every software component if you don't need all the fringe functionality. If
you see a question mark in Device Manager, highlight the device and click on
"Disable". :-)

BTW, last time I checked (about a year ago) the AVIVO video encoder only
works if you set CCC to kiddie mode.