From: Urs Hunkeler on
Hi,

I'm trying to install Debian on an Alix 2d3 board (installing from
network using PXE, the installer runs in a serial console). When I
select a mirror, the installer tells me that it is going to verify the
mirror, and then immediately gives me an error message saying that the
mirror is invalid. A tcpdump on the relaying computer shows that there
was absolutely no traffic on the network (ie. the installer is not
trying to access the network at all, not even dns lookup). When I open
the console and use netcat (nc, as ping, ifconfig and other such tools
are not available in the minimalistic environment), I can access
different servers without any problems, so I have to assume that the
network setup is working.

What is going on? Why doesn't the installer use the network? How can I
debug this?

I managed to boot the Debian text installer over PXE on an Alix 2d3. The
Alix does not have a graphics card, so the installation has to be done
using a serial console. Also, since so far I only got the basic
installer running, I have a very limited system running, which
unfortunately limits the debugging options.

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,
Urs

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 03:10:33AM +0200, Urs Hunkeler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install Debian on an Alix 2d3 board (installing from
> network using PXE, the installer runs in a serial console). When I
> select a mirror, the installer tells me that it is going to verify the
> mirror, and then immediately gives me an error message saying that the
> mirror is invalid. A tcpdump on the relaying computer shows that there
> was absolutely no traffic on the network (ie. the installer is not
> trying to access the network at all, not even dns lookup). When I open
> the console and use netcat (nc, as ping, ifconfig and other such tools
> are not available in the minimalistic environment), I can access
> different servers without any problems, so I have to assume that the
> network setup is working.

What version do you try to install?

What boot options did you pass to it?

Do you use preseeding? If so, what do you have in your preseed file?

> What is going on? Why doesn't the installer use the network? How can I
> debug this?

By default it should. There shoudn't be anything specific to the Alix
board in that, BTW.

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir(a)jabber.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 03:10:33AM +0200, Urs Hunkeler wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to install Debian on an Alix 2d3 board (installing from
>> network using PXE, the installer runs in a serial console). When I
>> select a mirror, the installer tells me that it is going to verify the
>> mirror, and then immediately gives me an error message saying that the
>> mirror is invalid. A tcpdump on the relaying computer shows that there
>> was absolutely no traffic on the network (ie. the installer is not
>> trying to access the network at all, not even dns lookup). When I open
>> the console and use netcat (nc, as ping, ifconfig and other such tools
>> are not available in the minimalistic environment), I can access
>> different servers without any problems, so I have to assume that the
>> network setup is working.
>
> What version do you try to install?
Debian Lenny

> What boot options did you pass to it?
Don't remember off my head in detail. They are something like

priority=low console=tty0 console=ttyS0,38400n8 DEBIAN_FRONTEND=text
initrd=...

> Do you use preseeding? If so, what do you have in your preseed file?
No. I try to access the text-based installer over the console. Again,
the kernel boots and the text-based installer starts. It configures the
network correctly (I see in the tcpdump log that it gets an IP address
and pings the gateway and netcat from a console works as well). It's
just when I try to configure the mirror that somehow the process fails.

>> What is going on? Why doesn't the installer use the network? How can I
>> debug this?
>
> By default it should. There shoudn't be anything specific to the Alix
> board in that, BTW.
Maybe not, but the Alix is special in that I don't have a graphics card
and need to do everything over the serial console (so no switching
between virtual terminals to see, e.g., extended debugging information).

Also, after playing around for a bit I found out that when I manually
configure the network (as opposed to let it configure automatically
using DHCP), after selecting a mirror the installer tries to resolve the
domain name that I specified during the network setup. It does this for
a domain like ".mydomain.com.". This doesn't make sense, especially the
leading period. So maybe it is trying to resolve the proxy (which I left
blank as instructed as I have a direct Internet connection)? If so, that
would look a lot like a bug in the text-based installer.

Cheers,
Urs

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 03:10:33AM +0200, Urs Hunkeler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install Debian on an Alix 2d3 board (installing from
> network using PXE, the installer runs in a serial console). When I
> select a mirror, the installer tells me that it is going to verify the
> mirror, and then immediately gives me an error message saying that the
> mirror is invalid. A tcpdump on the relaying computer shows that there
> was absolutely no traffic on the network (ie. the installer is not
> trying to access the network at all, not even dns lookup). When I open
> the console and use netcat (nc, as ping, ifconfig and other such tools
> are not available in the minimalistic environment), I can access
> different servers without any problems, so I have to assume that the
> network setup is working.
>
> What is going on? Why doesn't the installer use the network? How can I
> debug this?

What do you see in /proc/net/route (the routing table) ?

In /etc/resolv.conf ?

Also consider using a preseed file to feed settings rather than feeding
them manually (with potential typos)

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir(a)jabber.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir(a)cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 03:10:33AM +0200, Urs Hunkeler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install Debian on an Alix 2d3 board (installing from
> network using PXE, the installer runs in a serial console).

This is definitely some serious expert activity in which so many things
can go wrong.

At least you have normal CPU 500 MHz AMD Geode LX800.

(I am thinking to do this soon but I have not done this yet.)

> What is going on? Why doesn't the installer use the network? How can I
> debug this?
> Any help is appreciated!

I can only suggest followings:

* read all of install guide. (Especially TFTP set up)
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s05
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch05s01#boot-tftp

If you face problem, debian-boot may be better place.

Osamu

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: OOmon 2.2 'make' Error