From: Saeed Bhuta on
Saeed Bhuta wrote:
> Shashank Tiwari wrote:
>> Are you installing this on a mac, windows or a linux environment? You
>> may
>> need to make sure your C/C++ compiler is configured on the platform for
>> the
>> native extensions to compile and install.
>>
>> Thanks, Shashank

I just installed the 'libecpg-dev' package and am now getting the
following error when trying to install the pg gem:

"sudo gem install pg
ERROR: Error installing pg:

/usr/bin/ruby1.8 extconf.rb
checking for pg_config... yes
checking for libpq-fe.h... yes
checking for libpq/libpq-fs.h... yes
checking for PQconnectdb() in -lpq... no
checking for PQconnectdb() in -llibpq... no
checking for PQconnectdb() in -lms/libpq... no
Can't find the PostgreSQL client library (libpq)
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
--with-opt-dir
--without-opt-dir
--with-opt-include
--without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
--with-opt-lib
--without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
--with-make-prog
--without-make-prog
--srcdir=.
--curdir
--ruby=/usr/bin/ruby1.8
--with-pg
--without-pg
--with-pg-config
--without-pg-config
--with-pg-dir
--without-pg-dir
--with-pg-include
--without-pg-include=${pg-dir}/include
--with-pg-lib
--without-pg-lib=${pg-dir}/lib
--enable-static-build
--disable-static-build
--with-pqlib
--without-pqlib
--with-libpqlib
--without-libpqlib
--with-ms/libpqlib
--without-ms/libpqlib

Gem files will remain installed in /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/pg-0.9.0 for
inspection.
Results logged to /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/pg-0.9.0/ext/gem_make.out"

From: Reid Thompson on
Run this...
$ dpkg --get-selections
and paste the results in a pastebin.

At this point, the gems is stating that it cannot find libpq ( the
postgresql C client library ). Do you have the postgresql client
packages installed?

reid

From: Reid Thompson on
On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 17:56 +0900, Saeed Bhuta wrote:
> Saeed Bhuta wrote:
> > Shashank Tiwari wrote:
> >> Are you installing this on a mac, windows or a linux environment? You
> >> may
> >> need to make sure your C/C++ compiler is configured on the platform for
> >> the
> >> native extensions to compile and install.
> >>
> >> Thanks, Shashank
>
> I just installed the 'libecpg-dev' package and am now getting the
> following error when trying to install the pg gem:

I believe the libecpg-dev package would only provide the required
packages for developing embedded sql programs.

Open synaptic, scroll down to the postgresql section, and look at the
available packages. Make sure you have appropriate server and client
packages installed as well as their associated dev packages.

From: Saeed Bhuta on
Here is the result of the '$ dpkg --get-selections' command;
http://pastebin.com/6SRaW4KL

Looked in Synaptic, seemed like all the right server and client packages
were installed.

From: Lars Haugseth on
* Saeed Bhuta <saeed.bhuta(a)placr.co.uk> wrote:

> Here is the result of the '$ dpkg --get-selections' command;
> http://pastebin.com/6SRaW4KL
>
> Looked in Synaptic, seemed like all the right server and client packages
> were installed.

Looks like you're missing the libpq5 and libpq-dev packages.

--
Lars Haugseth
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last