From: Karl E. Peterson on
Brian E McNamee submitted this idea :
> My 64 bit installaion problem! My VB6 is an upgrade CD. For it I need to
> install VB4. And! My VB4 is an upgrade so I need to install VB3. Guess
> what. VB3 won't install. Any ideas?

Given you have a license, I'd suggest you'd be living within the spirit
of that license were you to obtain bits that didn't require the

> Would VB2010 solve this?

Heh, no.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Brian E McNamee on
Ralph, MikeD, and Karl,

Thanks for your responses. I have VB6 up and running on 2 XP boxes. I'll
try to thread my way through your suggestions and build a plan.

Brian McNamee

From: MikeD on

"Brian E McNamee" <BrianEMcNamee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Karl,
>
> Yep, my licenses are legitimate. But I don't know anything about
> bittorrents. Any suggestions? Sounds like there's a way to just set the
> switch "ON".
>
> A long time ago, on computers long, long forgotten I was a heavy Ops
> System
> designer/maintainer/fixer. Some "boxes" ran as many as 10,000+ users and
> all
> levels of security "colored books". But I'm too lazy to to scour the
> world
> to develop the same level of knowledge about the no longer very small box
> that now raises hackles at me when I turn it on just to run the stuff I've
> been using for 10 years!
>
> But I would like to get some of my programs that have 1,000s of hours of
> development to run! And be able to maintain them (damn stock market
> reports
> change format all the time!).

Kinda sounds like Virtual PC (or other similar product) might be just the
thing you need.

--
Mike

From: ralph on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:50:38 -0700, Brian E McNamee
<BrianEMcNamee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> ... But I'm too lazy to to scour the world
>to develop the same level of knowledge about the no longer very small box
>that now raises hackles at me when I turn it on just to run the stuff I've
>been using for 10 years!
>
>But I would like to get some of my programs that have 1,000s of hours of
>development to run! And be able to maintain them (damn stock market reports
>change format all the time!).

I can feel your pain. I finally dumped my beloved Windows 2000 for a
Vista box and a Win7-64bit box, and I too have a ton of legacy stuff I
still want to play with. Some installed in their new environments
without incident (which was always interesting in itself), others were
a nightmare.

What helped me (mostly cuz I'm rather right-brained) was taking a
large poster and actually mapping out "logical" folders vs "physical"
folders as well as "WoW"s, permissions, etc. This was useful because I
discovered most problems were not caused by missing or non-supported
components, but not having items/settings where the O/S expects them
to be. Once, you get that sorted out you can manually
copy/configure/register anything to run.

hth
-ralph
From: Mike Williams on
"Brian E McNamee" <BrianEMcNamee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Yep, my licenses are legitimate.

Well that obviously doesn't hold any sway with Micro$oft, because they have
stitched you up after taking your money regardless of whether your licences
are legitimate or not. Treat them in the same way they have treated you, and
be dishonest with them in the same way that they have been dishonest with
you. Just 'borrow' a full version of Visual Basic (as opposed to an upgrade
version) and install it.

Mike

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: DLL Heck
Next: Displaying property menu at runtime