From: Karl E. Peterson on
It happens that Brian E McNamee formulated :
> Yep, my licenses are legitimate. But I don't know anything about
> bittorrents. Any suggestions? Sounds like there's a way to just set the
> switch "ON".

Grab uTorrent (www.utorrent.com) and install. It's probably the best
torrent client out there. Then you need to find an appropriate torrent
file to download. For a file that's commonly shared, this is a great
name, as it comes at you like many firehoses. For one that hardly
anyone shares, not so much. At any rate, the best torrent search site
I'm aware of is www.isohunt.com, although you've probably also heard of
www.piratebay.org? IsoHunt recently went all Google on us, in the US,
because of a stupid court decision. Only way to get to it now, if
you're here, is via an anonymizer that masks your IP. But torrents are
available anywhere, really. For example:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=Visual+Studio+6+Enterprise+Edition+filetype%3Atorrent

Here's a direct link to one on Pirate Bay (which is currently hosted
from within the Swedish Parliament, as I understand it?):

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5514992/Visual_Studio_6_%5BVB6%5D_Enterprise_Edition_-_%5BGuruFuel%5D

You will *of course* want to take all necessary prophylactic measures!

General rule of thumb, torrents with more "seeds" will arrive sooner.
Good netiquette is to achieve a sharing ratio yourself of better than
1.0 before stopping your own feed. More background details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_%28protocol%29

I know some folks will consider what I describe above as a form of
piracy. I don't see it that way if you're downloading bits you're
already licensed to use. YMMV. :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Brian E McNamee on
Ralph,

Would you be willing to share your poster?

Probably next week I'm gonna take a crack at setting files onto the monster
(Alien??) and see how I can do at fooling the setup procedure. VB 3.0 gets
ignored by W7, but I'll feed the Alien some 3.0 and see if it'll bite on 4.0.

BTW, do you have any experience with the Flight Simulators?
--
Brian McNamee

From: Brian E McNamee on
Karl,

Thank you.

I'll try this as plan "B". See replay to Ralph above..
--
Brian McNamee

From: ralph on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:27:52 -0700, Brian E McNamee
<BrianEMcNamee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Ralph,
>
>Would you be willing to share your poster?

Ha, really not that much to share.

You can create your own pretty quickly. The nuances comes from how
your particular box is configured in terms of Users, Profiles, etc.,
thus it is not likely my configs directly map to yours. For example,
my Win7/64 bit is a corporate setup with a system partition and
'roaming profiles', the Vista a simple home default.

Its real use is to server as a quick reminder, as in "Hey stupid! - I
know it is called "System32" but that is for 64-bit here." <g>

>Probably next week I'm gonna take a crack at setting files onto the monster
>(Alien??) and see how I can do at fooling the setup procedure. VB 3.0 gets
>ignored by W7, but I'll feed the Alien some 3.0 and see if it'll bite on 4.0.

Note as someone already pointed out. VB3 and half of VB4 is 16-bit and
16-bit is dead as far as Win7/64 is concerned. Not quite accurate as
you can use Win7 "XP mode", disable intergration features, as well as
use an emulator such as VMWare - but performance can be a problem, and
based on your hardware's virtualization abilities may not work at all.

However, the XP mode may be useful for getting 16/32-bit installers to
run even if the app doesn't.

[You will get to learn a lot about the XP mode, likely more than you
ever wanted to know, over the next couple of weeks. <lol>]

IMHO, Save an XP box and hang it on your LAN. <g>

>BTW, do you have any experience with the Flight Simulators?

Only with Micorosoft's. <g>

-ralph
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Brian E McNamee laid this down on his screen :
> Karl,
>
> Thank you.
>
> I'll try this as plan "B". See replay to Ralph above..

Could actually be plan C, with B being ask a friend to rip you an ISO.
You're entitled, afterall! :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: DLL Heck
Next: Displaying property menu at runtime