From: Ramon F Herrera on

Some drivers (for a RAID in my case) are provided by Dell exclusively
in floppy format.

Like most PCs these days, mine does not have an idea what a floppy
drive is.

Perhaps I should buy a floppy drive with a USB interface? Will it work
at the WinXP OS install (F6) level?

Thx,

-Ramon

From: Grinder on
On 6/8/2010 6:57 PM, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

> Some drivers (for a RAID in my case) are provided by Dell exclusively
> in floppy format.
>
> Like most PCs these days, mine does not have an idea what a floppy
> drive is.
>
> Perhaps I should buy a floppy drive with a USB interface? Will it work
> at the WinXP OS install (F6) level?

This issue has come up several times, and I'm inclined to the the
straightest path to a solution is just to temporarily hook up a floppy
drive to your internal FDC. Your motherboard *probably* has that, even
if there's no room in the chassis to permanently mount the drive.
From: David Schwartz on
On Jun 8, 4:57 pm, Ramon F Herrera <ra...(a)conexus.net> wrote:

> Some drivers (for a RAID in my case) are provided by Dell exclusively
> in floppy format.
>
> Like most PCs these days, mine does not have an idea what a floppy
> drive is.
>
> Perhaps I should buy a floppy drive with a USB interface? Will it work
> at the WinXP OS install (F6) level?
>
> Thx,
>
> -Ramon

Build a Windows XP CD with the drivers, services pack, and hotfixes
you need integrated. nLite makes this a cinch.

DS
From: r_z_aret on
On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 16:57:16 -0700 (PDT), Ramon F Herrera
<ramon(a)conexus.net> wrote:

>Some drivers (for a RAID in my case) are provided by Dell exclusively
>in floppy format.

Are you sure they're not available on the web? Dell has a rather neat
web site that lets you enter the service number for your computer, and
then provides info about the original equipment and available drivers.
And the database goes back years; just a few weeks ago, I looked up
info on a computer from the NT days.

>Like most PCs these days, mine does not have an idea what a floppy
>drive is.
>
>Perhaps I should buy a floppy drive with a USB interface? Will it work
>at the WinXP OS install (F6) level?

I wouldn't count on it. Maybe you can find a computer with CD burner
and floppy drive that you can use to copy the drivers to CD.

>Thx,
>
>-Ramon

Robert E. Zaret, MVP
PenFact, Inc.
20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02116
www.penfact.com
Useful reading (be sure to read its disclaimer first):
From: Alex Blekhman on
On 09-Jun-10 9:57, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
> Perhaps I should buy a floppy drive with a USB interface? Will it work
> at the WinXP OS install (F6) level?

It depends on the drive. Here is the list of supported USB floppy drives:

KB916196 - "A connected USB floppy disk drive does not work when you
press F6 to install mass storage drivers during the Windows XP
installation process"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916196/

However, I'd second David's advice and recommend the nLite tool. It will
save you a lot of hustle.

HTH
Alex