From: choro on
LD55ZRA wrote:
> "Gene E. Bloch" wrote:
>>
>> You made me think of a variant of your idea...
>>
>> Remove the laptops's hard drive and replace it by another drive.
>> Install Win XP on that drive. On his son's return, put the original
>> drive back in.
>>
>> Or get two new drives & clone the original to one of them using SW
>> like the free EASEUS Disk Copy. Then do the above using the second
>> new drive. Now you have two copies of the original drive...just in
>> case something goes wrong with the original.
>>

> Good idea but the only snag I can see is that on some laptops,
> changing a HD is no simple job. You need to perform a complete
> open-heart surgery! I don't know anything about Lenovo laptops
> but Dell and HP are sometimes very difficult to perform simple
> tasks!
>
> hth

Hey idiote', haven't you ever heard about small print?
--
choro
*****

From: John Doue on
On 4/20/2010 6:03 AM, LD55ZRA wrote:

> "Gene E. Bloch" wrote:
>>
>> You made me think of a variant of your idea...
>>
>> Remove the laptops's hard drive and replace it by another drive. Install
>> Win XP on that drive. On his son's return, put the original drive back in.
>>
>> Or get two new drives& clone the original to one of them using SW like the
>> free EASEUS Disk Copy. Then do the above using the second new drive. Now
>> you have two copies of the original drive...just in case something goes
>> wrong with the original.
>>

> Good idea but the only snag I can see is that on some laptops,
> changing a HD is no simple job. You need to perform a complete
> open-heart surgery! I don't know anything about Lenovo laptops
> but Dell and HP are sometimes very difficult to perform simple
> tasks!
>
> hth

Well, I do not know this particular model, but a quick search on the
Internet told me that the hard drive is easily accessible, in keeping
with what was IBM habit.

--
John Doue
From: Gene E. Bloch on
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 04:03:22 +0100, LD55ZRA wrote:

> "Gene E. Bloch" wrote:
>>
>> You made me think of a variant of your idea...
>>
>> Remove the laptops's hard drive and replace it by another drive. Install
>> Win XP on that drive. On his son's return, put the original drive back in.
>>
>> Or get two new drives & clone the original to one of them using SW like the
>> free EASEUS Disk Copy. Then do the above using the second new drive. Now
>> you have two copies of the original drive...just in case something goes
>> wrong with the original.
>>

> Good idea but the only snag I can see is that on some laptops,
> changing a HD is no simple job. You need to perform a complete
> open-heart surgery! I don't know anything about Lenovo laptops
> but Dell and HP are sometimes very difficult to perform simple
> tasks!
>
> hth

I'm with Gordon here. Most laptops these days have a door on the bottom for
the drives and a second door for the memory.

I should probably say most that I have looked at :-)

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
From: Bruce Chambers on
LD55ZRA wrote:

> Good idea but the only snag I can see is that on some laptops,
> changing a HD is no simple job. You need to perform a complete
> open-heart surgery!

Any particular brands/models where the hard drive is difficult to
remove? Other than misidentifying Dells, which I've always found
reasonably simple to service, that is. Over the past 15 years, I've
rarely encountered a laptop that required much more than the removal of
one or two screws and a cover panel to access the hard drive. In fact,
many manufacturers used to recommend that the user remove the hard drive
(unless it was thought to be defective, of course) before sending the
laptop in for warranty service, in order to preserve/protect personal data.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: Bruce Chambers on
LD55ZRA wrote:
> Bruce Chambers wrote:
>

>> Any particular brands/models where the hard drive is difficult to
>> remove? Other than misidentifying Dells, which I've always found
>> reasonably simple to service, that is. Over the past 15 years, I've
>> rarely encountered a laptop that required much more than the removal
>> of one or two screws and a cover panel to access the hard drive. In
>> fact, many manufacturers used to recommend that the user remove the
>> hard drive (unless it was thought to be defective, of course) before
>> sending the laptop in for warranty service, in order to
>> preserve/protect personal data.
>>

> DELL INSPIRON 2600 which was in release between 2001 and 2002. It
> originally came with 40 GB but now you can get a lager HD but it is
> not worthwhile due to its requirement to remove all its parts and even
> the keyboard. Not a simple task but possible but requires at least 1
> hours job minimum.
>
> Please provide a link where "manufacturers recommend that the user
> remove the hard drive (unless it was thought to be defective, of course)
> before sending the laptop in for warranty service, in order to
> preserve/protect personal data." they say one should back the data but
> you are making a very bizarre claim.

No "links," but it's been a standard recommendation from several
manufacturers for the 15+ years I've been supporting laptops in
enterprise environments.

And I'm not impressed by delusional, slanderous accusations against
others who've also pointed out your frequent departures from reality.