From: Randy on
I have an old 32-bit Active-X control that I would like to install on
a Win7 Professional 64 machine to use with VB6. The trouble is Win7
will not allow the 16-bit installer to run. I have tried all the
usual "run as XP" and "run as administrator" stuff, etc., but the 16-
bit installer still will not work. I have my original installation
disk but the company is long out of business.

I can take the components (.ocx, .oca, etc) from an XP machine and
place them in the C:\Windows\sysWOW64 folder and use regsvr32 to
register the ocx successfully. But when I try to actually use the
control in a VB6 form I get a message that "License information for
this component is not found."

Is there a way around this or am I out of luck?

Randy
From: Kevin Provance on

:
: I can take the components (.ocx, .oca, etc) from an XP machine and
: place them in the C:\Windows\sysWOW64 folder and use regsvr32 to
: register the ocx successfully. But when I try to actually use the
: control in a VB6 form I get a message that "License information for
: this component is not found."
:
: Is there a way around this or am I out of luck?

A 32 bit control installed by a 16 bit installer? Damn, that sucks. Are
you able to indentify the brand of installer by looking at the install
screens? If so, what's the brand? There might be a way to extract the VBL
data from it, depending on the brand.

From: David Kerber on
In article <44bd6fe0-1c66-41cc-aabf-3ba6a91c8b62
@d12g2000pra.googlegroups.com>, hamradio(a)oz.net says...

> I have an old 32-bit Active-X control that I would like to install on
> a Win7 Professional 64 machine to use with VB6. The trouble is Win7
> will not allow the 16-bit installer to run. I have tried all the
> usual "run as XP" and "run as administrator" stuff, etc., but the 16-
> bit installer still will not work. I have my original installation
> disk but the company is long out of business.

That's correct. NO 16-bit software will run on a 64-bit Windows OS.

> I can take the components (.ocx, .oca, etc) from an XP machine and
> place them in the C:\Windows\sysWOW64 folder and use regsvr32 to
> register the ocx successfully. But when I try to actually use the
> control in a VB6 form I get a message that "License information for
> this component is not found."
>
> Is there a way around this or am I out of luck?

Have you tried installing XP mode, and putting your VB IDE in there? I
had to do that for one of my apps, and it works fine.

From: ralph on
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 12:24:20 -0700 (PDT), Randy <hamradio(a)oz.net>
wrote:

>I have an old 32-bit Active-X control that I would like to install on
>a Win7 Professional 64 machine to use with VB6. The trouble is Win7
>will not allow the 16-bit installer to run. I have tried all the
>usual "run as XP" and "run as administrator" stuff, etc., but the 16-
>bit installer still will not work. I have my original installation
>disk but the company is long out of business.
>
>I can take the components (.ocx, .oca, etc) from an XP machine and
>place them in the C:\Windows\sysWOW64 folder and use regsvr32 to
>register the ocx successfully. But when I try to actually use the
>control in a VB6 form I get a message that "License information for
>this component is not found."
>
>Is there a way around this or am I out of luck?

To add to the pile ...

Occasionally suppilers were a tad creative when it came to licensing
where they save a 'hash' and not the actual license #, but most often
they used a pretty simple scheme - reg entry and file.
Look for a ".reg" or ".lic" file in the original package. Ignore the
..OCA file/s, as they are as likely to cause more problems later on. VB
will recreate the OCA when needed.

If worse comes to worse you can always find a 32-bit box, take a
snapshot, and then run the installer with Sysinternals tools to figure
out what they did.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx

-ralph
From: DanS on
Randy <hamradio(a)oz.net> wrote in
oups.com:

> I have an old 32-bit Active-X control that I would like to
> install on a Win7 Professional 64 machine to use with VB6.
> The trouble is Win7 will not allow the 16-bit installer to
> run. I have tried all the usual "run as XP" and "run as
> administrator" stuff, etc., but the 16- bit installer
> still will not work. I have my original installation disk
> but the company is long out of business.
>
> I can take the components (.ocx, .oca, etc) from an XP
> machine and place them in the C:\Windows\sysWOW64 folder
> and use regsvr32 to register the ocx successfully. But
> when I try to actually use the control in a VB6 form I get
> a message that "License information for this component is
> not found."

Is it a third party control ?

Many third party controls I've seen require you to enter the reg
key in an entry in it's properties, or as a line of code.

(Just a wild stab in the dark.)
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: ListSubItem